Louis Manetti advises debt collectors and debt buyers in complex litigation matters. He has extensive experience handling federal consumer protection statutes such as the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). He has also defended class actions in this area of law.
Louis has several years of experience in appellate advocacy and the courtroom, having orally argued before the Illinois Supreme Court and the First, Third, Fourth, and Fifth Districts of the Illinois Appellate Court.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Louis spent nearly a decade practicing at a consumer finance litigation firm in Burr Ridge, Illinois. During his tenure, he served as the managing attorney for the appellate practice.
Louis began his legal career working as a clerk for a general practice plaintiff's firm and also for the Honorable Julia M. Nowicki (ret.), Circuit Court of Cook County, in Chancery Court.
- Illinois Appellate Lawyers Association, Director, 2017 – 2019
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois
- Schellenger v. Midland Funding LLC, 2019 IL App (5th) 180202
- St. Pierre v. Retrieval Masters Creditors Bureau, Inc., 898 F.3d 351 (3d Cir. 2018)
- Holcomb v. Freedman Anselmo Lindberg, LLC, 900 F.3d 990 (7th Cir. 2018)
- Walton v. EOS CCA, 885 F.3d 1024 (7th Cir. 2018)
- BMO Harris Bank Nat’l Assn’n v. LaRosa, 2017 IL App (1st) 161159
- Gajewski v. Ocwen Loan Servicing, 650 Fed. App’x. 283 (7th Cir. 2016)
- U.S. Bank Trust, NA v. Colston, 2015 IL App (5th) 140100
- Beal Bank v. Barrie, 2015 IL App (1st) 133898
- U.S. Bank Trust, NA v. Atchley, 2015 IL App (3d) 150144
- U.S. Bank, NA v. Avdic, 2014 IL App (1st) 121759
- Bank of America NA v. Kulesza, 2014 IL App (1st) 132075
- Bank of America, NA v. Land, 2013 IL App (5th) 120283
- JPMorgan Mortgage Acquisition Corp. v. Straus, 2012 IL App (1st) 112401
- Central Mortgage Co. v. Kamarauli, 2012 IL App (1st) 112353
- Co-Presenter, "Regulation F: The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s New Debt Collection Rules," ISBA, Virtual Event, April 28, 2022
- Co-Presenter, "The Basics of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act," ISBA Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, October 3, 2019
- "FDCPA: A Refresher as to the Do's and Don'ts When Demanding Payment and the Mistakes to Avoid," Chicago Bar Association's Real Property Law, Condominium Subcommittee, Webinar, February 20, 2018
- Co-Author, "Analyzing Oral Argument Proceedings in the 11th Circuit's En Banc Review of Hunstein v. Preferred Collection and Management Services," ACA International, March 1, 2022
- "Words Count: Judge Easterbrook Issues Opinion Warning Litigants to Accurately Report the Word Cap Pursuant to FRAP 32," The Brief: The Appellate Lawyers Association's Blog, January 17, 2019
- "Illinois Appellate Court Justice Delort Gives Primer on Appellate Practice and Procedure," The Brief: The Appellate Lawyers Association's Blog, November 10, 2017
- "Chief Judge Wood Calls on Practitioners to Comply with the Appellate Rule for Jurisdictional Statements," The Brief: The Appellate Lawyers Association's Blog, August 4, 2017
- "The Persuasive Statement of Facts Reoccurring Expert Tips on How to Write and Effective Facts Section of a Brief," The Brief: The Appellate Lawyers Association's Blog, June 16, 2017
- "Showing the connection between statutory violation and injury: in Diedrich v. Ocwen Loan Servicing, LLC, the Seventh Circuit applies the Supreme Court's Spokeo analysis to the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act," American Bar Association's Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section eReport, March 2017
- "An Appellate Cautionary Tale: The Appellate Court Dismisses an Appeal for the Fourth Time in the Same Case in Oruta v. B.E.W.," The Brief: The Appellate Lawyers Association's Blog, February 10, 2017
- "Seventh Circuit Adopts a Federal Standard of Finality for Foreclosure Judgments," The Brief: The Appellate Lawyers Association's Blog, October 19, 2016; Republished in the American Bar Association's Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section eReport, November 2016
- "No Set Off After Foreclosure," Legal League 100 Quarterly, 3rd Quarter 2015
- "Counsel's Corner: Ruling Puts Lenders on the Hook for Unpaid Assessments," DS News, December 2015
- "The Supreme Power of a Postage Stamp: Recission under the Truth in Lending Act after Jesinoski," DS News, April 2015
- "The Supreme Power of a Postage Stamp," DS News Blackbook, January 2015
- "Illinois Appellate Court holds that Mortgages Originated in Violation of Licensing Statute are Void," Legal League Quarterly, 4th Quarter 2014
- Seventh Circuit Rules in Favor of a Debt Collector Regarding Steps to be taken in Compliance with the FDCPA and FCRA when a Debtor Disputes a Debt John P. Ryan, Louis J. Manetti Jr.
- Recent Illinois Court Decision Illustrates Pitfalls of Multiple Filings of a Mortgage Foreclosure Action
- Mortgage Foreclosure Alert: Attaching Promissory Note in Illinois Sufficient to Show Standing; but HUD Letters Require Proof of Dispatch
Consumer Crossroads: Where Financial Services and Litigation Intersect
Louis lives in the western suburbs of Chicago with his wife, Margaret Manetti, and their two children.
J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law at Illinois Institute of Technology, 2007
B.A., magna cum laude, Millikin University, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central and Northern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin