Lari Dierks represents clients in litigation and regulatory investigations. She also handles issues pertaining to governmental bodies with a particular focus on regulatory compliance. She has advised clients regarding compliance with statutes intended to protect consumers and ethical regulations at the local, state, and federal level as well as licensing matters where she also provides strategic legal counsel.
Lari has litigation experience in high profile matters. Lari has been appointed as Special State's Attorney, Special Assistant Corporation Counsel, and Special Assistant Attorney General to represent the City of Chicago, Cook County, and the State of Illinois in a variety of civil litigation matters. Lari has also tried numerous bench trials, and secured victory in a robbery jury trial. While attending law school, Lari served as a Judicial Intern for the Honorable Thomas L. Kilbride, Illinois Supreme Court Justice for the Third District.
Lari has defended companies facing inquiries, requests for information, subpoenas, civil investigative demands, supervisory examinations, or lawsuits brought by government entities like state attorneys general, state and municipal regulators, state banking examiners, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), and the U.S. Department of Justice. Lari also helps companies identify and manage risk by counseling them through issues related to the: Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), state telemarketing laws, federal and state privacy requirements, student loan licensing, and other state law consumer protection requirements.
As lead pension analyst for the Illinois House of Representatives, Office of the Speaker, Lari worked with state and local funds when issues arose related to administration of pension benefits. Lari now uses her extensive experience with the Illinois Pension Code to advise clients on public pension compliance and litigation matters.
Lari is a proud member of Dierks Farms, a five generation family farm in Ava, Illinois. She brings the work ethic she learned growing up on a family farm to advocate for each of her clients and enjoys using her regulatory skills to ensure her family complies with all local, state, and federal regulations required to safely ship grass fed beef to households throughout the country.
- American Constitution Society
- Chicago Lawyer Chapter, Vice Chair
- Chicago Bar Association
- Election Law Committee, Legislative Liaison
- Illinois Legal Aid Online
- Young Professionals Board, Social Co-Chair
- Illinois Women's Institute for Leadership
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois
- Defended the Cook County Sheriff's Office in a high-profile, preliminary injunction hearing in a federal class action case alleging constitutional rights violations at the Cook County Jail.
- As Special Assistant Corporation Counsel for the City of Chicago, obtained guilty decision against police officer charged with misconduct, after an administrative evidentiary hearing before the Chicago Police Board, resulting in employment discharge.
- Regulatory and Enforcement
- Representation of debt collection companies in investigations into unfair, deceptive trade practices led by the Illinois Attorney General and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- Assisted in negotiation of impasse of an investigation into a real estate title company by a state Department of Financial Services related to licensing and registration.
- Defense of debt collection company in state Department of Banking agency allegations that it engaged in unlicensed collection of consumer debts.
- Representation of a government vendor in false claims investigation relating to billing practices brought by the California Attorney General and the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Defense of electric and gas suppliers in consumer fraud investigations or litigation, including "do not call" or robocall cases, brought by state attorneys general, including: Illinois, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.
- Represented multiple retail energy or gas suppliers, and solar entities with issues relating to licensing or business operations in front of Illinois Commerce Commission.
- Assisted debt collector in multi-state and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau coordinated examination.
- Assist fintech company with launch of mortgage lead generation product by assessing legal risk and compliance needs.
- Assisted mortgage insurance company with drafting terms and conditions for website, privacy policies, and notices.
- Assisted mortgage insurance company with California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) implementation.
- "Why Current Illinois Consideration Based Pension Reform Proposals Still Fail," Northwestern Journal of Law & Social Policy, Spring 2018
- Hinshaw Releases Fourth Edition of "Student Loan Servicing Guide: 50 State Survey of Laws and Legislation"September 17, 2020A reference guide for financial services compliance professionals
- July 28, 2020
- Hinshaw Releases Third Edition of "Student Loan Servicing Regulations: 50 State Guide on Laws and Legislation"September 4, 2019A reference guide for financial services compliance professionals
- Fourth Edition of 50 State Guide on Student Loan Servicing Regulations Now Available Vaishali S. Rao, Lari Dierks
- Consumer Law Regulatory Insights: CFPB Symposia Series Discusses How Behavioral Economics Can Inform Regulatory Action Lari Dierks, Vaishali S. Rao
Consumer Crossroads: Where Financial Services and Litigation Intersect
Lari enjoys running and travelling. Although she loves to visit places all around the world—most recently, Vietnam—Lari also enjoys exploring the neighborhoods of Chicago.
- Girls on the Run
- Personal PAC Future Voices Council
J.D., cum laude, Northwestern University School of Law, 2018
B.A., magna cum laude, Southern Illinois University, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois