Kevin Abbott defends healthcare professionals facing claims of medical malpractice. He also works with both hospitals and insurers to develop policy and procedure language and ensure compliance with the Peer Review and Medical Studies Act and HIPPA. Kevin has also advised his clients on third-party subpoena issues.
Kevin's clients also benefit from his extensive litigation experience. He handles all aspects of the process from preparing witnesses and taking and defending depositions, to motions and trial. Over the course of his career, Kevin has secured several summary judgment victories for hospitals on issues involving liability, causation, and agency.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Kevin practiced for over six years at a medical malpractice firm in Rockford, Illinois. He also gained valuable experience working as a law clerk with two accomplished Chicago-based plaintiff's medical malpractice firms.
While attending law school, Kevin took advantage of extern opportunities in Chicago and spent a summer as an intern for the American Medical Association and their Counsel on Ethical and Judicial Affairs. As a student, he was also a member of the DePaul Law Review.
- Illinois State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2019
- CALI Award for the highest grade in Commercial Arbitration; Corporate Finance; and Legal Profession, DePaul University College of Law
- Dean's List, DePaul University College of Law
- Order of the Coif, DePaul University College of Law
Medical Malpractice Litigation
- Second chaired a two-week jury trial involving claims that a physician improperly performed a Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass and improperly managed the patient's post-operative course, leading to his death. Plaintiff sought more than $9 million. After eight days, the jury returned a verdict in favor of all defendants.
- Co-tried a birth injury case involving claims of brachial plexus palsy and cognitive injuries. The case required the defense of a hospital, its employed nurses, and an apparent agency claim against an obstetrician. A verdict was secured for the defense.
Like most Midwesterners, Kevin enjoys hockey. When weather permits, he likes golfing, canoeing, and hiking. Kevin also enjoys reading, cooking, and traveling.