Jorge Cazares has a diverse litigation practice. He counsels clients on a wide range of matters, including those involving: contract and business disputes, employment discrimination, local governmental defense, civil rights defense, product liability, defamation, and personal injury defense, as well as labor disputes and arbitrations.
Leveraging his extensive litigation experience, Jorge works with his clients to find simple solutions for the legal issues they are facing. Keeping their business needs and goals in mind, Jorge is committed to getting the best outcome for his clients.
Having worked in the public and private sector for both large, established firms and start-ups, Jorge's career has provided him with a number of diverse experiences and insights. He spent the majority of his career with a Chicago-based firm, where he started practicing soon after completing law school.
After more than a decade in private practice, Jorge was approached to take on the role of general counsel for the Chicago Housing Authority (CHA), the third largest public housing agency in the country. The first Latino to serve in the role, Jorge oversaw the agency's legal affairs and counseled CHA's Board of Commissioners, senior management, and employees. During his tenure, Jorge held a number of leadership positions and also supervised the CHA's Office of the Inspector General, the ADA Compliance Department, as well as its One-Strike Program.
Following his return to private practice, Jorge was appointed Chief Ethics Officer and Chief EEO Officer for the CHA. In that capacity, he handled dozens of investigations involving potential violations of the agency's policies. He also conducted agency-wide training concerning various ethics, EEO, anti-discrimination, and anti-harassment policies. Further, in addition to providing counsel for the agency's officers and employees, Jorge issued advisory opinions.
- American Bar Association
- Cook County Mandatory Arbitration Program, Arbitrator; Chairperson, 1995 – 2002
- Hispanic Lawyers Association of Illinois
- Illinois State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Instituto Spirit Award, Instituto Del Progesso Latino, 2017
- Outstanding Volunteer Service, Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago, 2012
- Business Leader of Color, Chicago United, 2011
- Recognition of Outstanding Leadership, Commitment, and Service as President, Loyola University Chicago School of Law Alumni Board, 2005
- Recognition of Extraordinary Service, Loyola University Chicago School of Law Minority Mentorship Program, 1997
- Recognized by his peers as a "Leading Lawyer" in the categories of Civil Rights/Constitutional Law; Commercial Litigation; Employment Law: Management; Governmental, Municipal, Lobbying & Administrative Law; and Real Estate Law: Commercial
- Panelist, "Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act," State Farm, Bloomington, Illinois, June 2019
- February 26, 2020Jorge V. Cazares brings more than 25 years of experience, with a mix of public sector and private law firm practice
Born and raised in the Pilsen neighborhood, Jorge attended St. Ignatius College Prep. An avid sports fan, he enjoys cheering on the Sox, Bulls, Blackhawks, Bears, and the Fire. His idea of the perfect day is being in his backyard on a summer day, grilling and listening to sports or 80s dance music with his family and friends.
- Chicago Police Foundation, Founding Member; Treasurer, Secretary, 2015 – 2020
- Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago
- Lawyer in the Classroom, 2004 – 2016
- Chicago Public Schools
- Principal for a Day, 2000 – 2012
- Gads Hill Center
- Board of Directors; President, 2010 – 2013; Vice President, 2007 – 2010
- Development Committee, Chairman, 2002 – 2005
- Executive Committee, 2008 – 2014
- Loyola University Chicago
- Latino Alumni Board, Board of Directors, 2001 – 2008; President, 2003 – 2005
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law
- Alumni Board of Governors, 2004 – 2013
- Appellate Advocacy Competition – Oral Arguments, Judge
- Dean's Diversity Council
- Santa Lucia Elementary School
- Board of Specified Jurisdiction, Vice President, 2010 – 2012
- School Board, 2003 – 2013
- St. Ignatius College Prep Law Society
- Yale University
- Alumni School Committee, 2000 – 2016
- Latino Alumni Board of Directors, 2015 – 2019
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1990
B.S., Yale University, 1985
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central and Northern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar