An experienced trial lawyer with verdicts across the Midwest, Jordan Shea advises domestic and international corporate clients facing claims involving their products and business practices. In addition to representing clients in product liability claims, Jordan handles a wide range of commercial disputes. His civil litigation practice includes aggressively defending the interests of businesses in commercial, toxic tort, product liability, and labor and employment matters.
Jordan provides his clients with creative solutions tailored to their unique circumstances and business needs. His adversaries know he will be prepared to try a case to verdict, positioning Jordan's clients for favorable outcomes. When claims have not resolved through dispositive motion or settlement, Jordan has tried a varied range of high-stakes cases.
For instance, Jordan secured a favorable verdict for a chemical manufacturer sued by a contractor who suffered chemical burns while at the client's facility. He also represented an employer in an employment discrimination case alleging violations of the Equal Pay Act and represented a Fortune 500 client in a jury trial involving a commercial dispute over imports from China.
In the product liability realm, Jordan has advised manufacturers in the aviation and consumer goods industries. Specifically he has defended producers of riding tractors and mowers and power tools, in cases involving serious injury and property damage.
As for toxic tort matters, Jordan has defended manufacturers and other businesses in cases involving mass salmonella poisoning and asbestos exposure. He also secured a dismissal in a nationwide toxic tort class action. Prior to joining Hinshaw, Jordan bolstered his litigation experience with a Chicago-based firm where he began his legal career more than a decade ago.
- Certified Cook County Arbitrator
- Chicago Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Loyola Academy Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2016 – 2020
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Recognized by his peers as an "Emerging Lawyer" in the areas of: Class Action/Mass Tort Defense Law; Commercial Litigation; and Toxic Torts Defense Law
- Defended former employee in trade secret and noncompete action. Client was awarded full defense costs through corporate advancement and indemnity.
- Obtained a jury verdict on behalf of a corporate client for all damages requested in breach-of-contract action.
- Received a complete defense verdict on behalf of employer in jury trial involving allegations of Title VII sex discrimination and Equal Pay Act violations.
- Represented seller of eggs following recall of 380 million eggs in a highly publicized national class action alleging salmonella poisoning. Plaintiff's counsel dismissed the case and never refiled after we requested severe sanctions for misconduct.
- Secured $85 million settlement on behalf of the U.S. government representing qui tam plaintiff after the United States declined to intervene in a case involving Medicare and Medicaid fraud through unreported kickbacks to medical providers.
- Represented a consumer product manufacturer in product liability lawsuit against a supplier to recover damages caused by recall of 1.8 million refrigerators. Successfully resolved on the eve of trial.
- Represented the City of Chicago in full administrative trials against police officers accused of misconduct. This included high-profile cases of officers accused of issuing fraudulent parking tickets, known in the media as "Ticketgate," and officers accused of covering up bribes from tow truck drivers, as revealed in an FBI probe.
Jordan is a proud dad of two sons and husband to Lindsay Shea, a third grade teacher. The Shea family enjoys skiing and snowboarding, waterskiing and wakeboarding, and cheering the Chicago Cubs and Wisconsin Badgers. When not on the slopes or the lake, Jordan can often be found taking in live music at venues around Chicago.
- McGaw YMCA Camp Echo
- Camp Echo Advisory Group, Member
J.D., magna cum laude, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2007
B.A., University of Wisconsin – Madison, 2003
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Central and Northern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana