Johnathon (John) Koechley represents legal, financial, and STEM professionals and their businesses. He helps clients and their general counsel navigate a wide array of complex professional liability disputes, from a single claim for breach of fiduciary duty to sprawling, multi-suit litigation involving civil RICO claims. John has found success resolving cases in the early phases of litigation by exploring novel legal theories and adapting his litigation style to the needs of each client's case. He has experience in the later phases of litigation, having briefed and argued federal appeals and taken cases to trial.
John also provides counsel on other legal or regulatory issues that may impact a client’s business such as the insurance coverage for the matter at hand or issues arising from emerging technology and the related compliance risks. Focusing on the ever-evolving area of data privacy, he has provided consulting on proposed changes to the CCPA, GDPR, BIPA, and other similar, pending legislation.
Before joining Hinshaw, John practiced at a boutique Chicago-based firm. He litigated matters in various jurisdictions across the United States and furthered his experience with professional liability and data privacy matters. Before that, John was a legal intern for the Complex Litigation Unit in the Civil Actions Bureau of the Cook County State's Attorney's Office and helped defend elected public officials, career public servants, and law enforcement personnel named in high-profile Section 1983 claims in federal court and administrative hearings.
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Consumer Privacy and Data Analytics Committee
- Professional Responsibility Committee
- Business Law Section
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- Chicago Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
Honors & Awards
- DePaul University College of Law
- CALI Award for the Highest Grade in "Cyber Law"
- CALI Award for the Highest Grade in "Legal Analysis, Research, and Communication III"
- CALI Award for the Highest Grade in "Litigation Laboratory"
- Illinois Supreme Court Applies Adverse Judgment Rule, Rejects Statute of Limitations Defense in Legal Malpractice ClaimFebruary 1, 2022Lawyers for the Profession®
- FTC Overhauls Safeguards Rule Regarding Customer Information Applicable to Auto-Dealers and Other "Financial Institutions"December 2, 2021Hinshaw Privacy & Cyber Bytes
- October 14, 2021Lawyers for the Profession®
- October 1, 2021Lawyers for the Profession®
- Illinois Appellate Court Affirms Summary Judgment For Defendant in Legal Malpractice Action Based on No Duty and No CausationSeptember 13, 2021Lawyers for the Profession®
- Property Owners Allege Their Own Lawyers Helped Initiate Ruinous Downzoning, Case Dismissed Due to Statute of LimitationsAugust 26, 2021Lawyers for the Profession®
- June 9, 2021Hinshaw Privacy & Cyber Bytes
J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 2017
B.A. and B.S., University of Wisconsin-Platteville, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois