Johnathon Koechley counsels legal, financial, and STEM professionals, as well as businesses and non-profits. He helps clients navigate complex disputes involving professional liability, as well as breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and civil RICO claims—including the insurance coverage for the matter at hand.
Focusing on the ever-evolving area of data privacy and cybersecurity, Johnathon also advises clients on issues arising from emerging technology and the related compliance risks. This has included consulting on proposed changes to the CCPA, GDPR, BIPA, and other similar, pending legislation.
Before joining Hinshaw, Johnathon practiced at a boutique Chicago-based firm where he litigated matters in various jurisdictions across the United States and furthered his experience with professional liability and data privacy matters.
During law school, Johnathon was a legal intern for the Cook County State's Attorney's Office. Working for the Complex Litigation Unit in the Civil Actions Bureau, he assisted with pleadings, discovery, and dispositive motion practice for matters involving Cook County elected public officials, career public servants, and law enforcement personnel named in high-profile Section 1983 claims in federal court and administrative hearings.
In addition to his academic accomplishments—including earning a Business Law Certificate—Johnathon was a teaching assistant for a practical skills course and member of the DePaul Business and Commercial Law Journal. While an undergraduate, he also worked as a chef and managed a catering company.
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Consumer Privacy and Data Analytics Committee
- Professional Responsibility Committee
- Business Law Section
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- Chicago Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
Honors & Awards
- DePaul University College of Law
- CALI Award for the Highest Grade in "Cyber Law"
- CALI Award for the Highest Grade in "Legal Analysis, Research, and Communication III"
- CALI Award for the Highest Grade in "Litigation Laboratory"
- FTC Overhauls Safeguards Rule Regarding Customer Information Applicable to Auto-Dealers and Other "Financial Institutions"December 2, 2021Hinshaw Privacy & Cyber Bytes
- October 14, 2021Lawyers for the Profession®
- October 1, 2021Lawyers for the Profession®
- Illinois Appellate Court Affirms Summary Judgment For Defendant in Legal Malpractice Action Based on No Duty and No CausationSeptember 13, 2021Lawyers for the Profession®
- Property Owners Allege Their Own Lawyers Helped Initiate Ruinous Downzoning, Case Dismissed Due to Statute of LimitationsAugust 26, 2021Lawyers for the Profession®
- June 9, 2021Hinshaw Privacy & Cyber Bytes