Joanna Storey defends professionals in a wide range of liability and civil rights matters. Over the course of her career, she has worked with physicians, attorneys, and public entities to identify and resolve their conflicts efficiently.
With a passion for legal ethics, Joanna is involved in a number of professional organizations—including the Bar Association of San Francisco's Legal Ethics Committee, where she serves as Secretary. Joanna regularly writes and presents on legal ethics and professional liability-related topics, including multiple presentations on the new California Rules of Professional Conduct.
A Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US), Joanna also advises clients on compliance with privacy-related laws, rules, and regulations. She assists in drafting and implementing privacy policies, focusing on medical privacy issues governed by HIPAA and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act.
Joanna's background also includes extensive experience in medical device, pharmaceutical, and general product liability matters, as well as other complex and catastrophic personal injury and commercial matters.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Joanna was Senior Counsel at a firm in San Francisco. During her tenure, she served as Chair for the firm's Professional Development Meetings. Joanna also worked at firm in San Jose, California, where she assisted the appellate practice in research and briefing to the California Supreme Court.
During law school, Joanna was the Articles Editor for the Computer and High Tech Law Journal. While pursuing her undergraduate degree, Joanna completed the Journalism Unit of the Washington Semester Program at American University in Washington, D.C. The program provided her the opportunity to intern with Discovery Communications.
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Women in Security and Privacy
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Legal Ethics Committee, Secretary
- American Bar Association
- Center for Professional Responsibility
Honors & Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa, Indiana University
- Co-Presenter, "The Top 10 Ethics Rule Changes That May Affect Your Practice," Marin County Bar Association's (MCBA) Labor & Employment Section Meeting, March 12, 2019
- Co-Presenter, "The Top 10 Ethics Rule Changes That May Affect Your Practice," BASF MCLE, San Francisco, California, November 8, 2018
- Co-Presenter, "California's New Rules of Professional Conduct: What You Need to Know," Marin County Women Lawyers CLE, Greenbrae, California, October 18, 2018
- "How to Use Ethics as a Sword and Shield," Bar Association of San Francisco Legal Ethics Committee MCLE, San Francisco, CA, January 24, 2018
- "How to Efficiently and Ethically Discover Medical and Personnel Records," Bar Association of San Francisco Legal Ethics Committee MCLE, San Francisco, CA, July 11, 2017
- "Ethics of Practicing Law in a Digital World," Bar Association of San Francisco Legal Ethics Committee MCLE, San Francisco, CA, January 9, 2017
- Co-Author, "The Elephant in the Room: The Ethics of Discovering an Impaired Lawyer in Your Firm," DRI's For the Defense magazine, November 2018
- "Time to Refresh Your Conflicts Check Procedures," Legal by the Bay, September 5, 2018
- Co-Author, "The Ethics of Third-Party Technology Solutions," San Francisco Attorney Magazine, Spring 2018
- "Who Knew the Courts Adopted Commonsense Professional Guidelines," San Francisco Attorney Magazine, Winter 2017
- "Two's a Company, Three Might Get You Disqualified: The Ethics of Joint Representation," Legal by the Bay, August 15, 2017
- "Think Twice Before You File That Exhibit," Legal by the Bay, Spring 2017
- April 16, 2019Cyber Alert
- No Harm, No Foul: Disqualification Not Warranted When City Attorney Obtained Privileged, But Irrelevant, Communications During Internal Affairs InvestigationJanuary 25, 2019Lawyers for the Profession®
- California Attorneys Must Obtain Client's Signed Understanding of Mediation Confidentiality, Effective January 1, 2019December 3, 2018Lawyers for the Profession®
- November 16, 2018Lawyers for the Profession®
- McKinley Elementary School PTA, Member
- Executive Board Member, 2014 – 2018
- Burlingame School District Community Panel, Interviewer for Candidates for Elementary School Principal, 2017
- San Bruno Mothers Club, Treasurer and Historian, 2012 – 2013