Jessica Watkins is a litigator who focuses her practice on commercial litigation, professional liability defense, long-term care facility litigation, and medical malpractice defense. She counsels her clients on risk management and represents professionals before disciplinary agencies. Jessica also handles personal injury, automobile negligence, and Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act matters.
Experienced in all aspects of the litigation process, Jessica ensures her clients are informed throughout, from a case's inception to fact-witness depositions and trial preparation.
Prior to joining Hinshaw as an associate, Jessica was a law clerk with the firm.
During law school, she worked as a 711-licensed intern in the Legal Department of Metra Commuter Rail, and served as a student attorney in the Housing and Community Development Legal Clinic. Additionally, Jessica was a judicial intern to the Honorable Jacqueline P. Cox, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Illinois and a judicial extern to the Honorable Allen P. Walker, Circuit Court of Cook County, Chancery Division, Mortgage Foreclosure Section.
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- Young Lawyer Section
- Professional Responsibility Committee, Legislative Liaison
- Cook County Bar Association, Member
- Black Women Lawyers' Association of Greater Chicago, Inc., Member
- Judicial Evaluation Committee, Co-chair
- Moderator, "The Balancing Act: Client Advocacy and Professionalism During Litigation," Chicago, Illinois, February 20, 2019
- "BOSS and Claver Society College Perspectives Panel," St. Ignatius College Prep's Annual College Perspectives Panel, Chicago, Illinois, November 12, 2018
- Co-Presenter, "To-Do List for the Ethical Practice of Law," Chicago Bar Association – Young Lawyers Section, Professional Responsibility Committee, Chicago, Illinois, September 5, 2018
- "Career Insights for High School Students: Becoming an Attorney," Al Raby School of Community and Environment Career Day, Chicago, Illinois, April 27, 2018
- "Inadvertent Disclosure of Privileged Information," Chicago Bar Association – Young Lawyers Section, Professional Responsibility Committee Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, November 17, 2016
- July 31, 2019
- April 4, 2019Lawyers for the Profession®
- Fifty-Percent Owner of Partnership Has Standing to Seek Disqualification of Partnership Counsel to Protect Partnership InterestsMarch 28, 2019Lawyers for the Profession®
- Description of "Client" in Outside Counsel Guidelines Prohibits Representation Adverse to Affiliates of Firm's Current ClientMarch 21, 2019Lawyers for the Profession®
- June 28, 2017Lawyers for the Profession®
- South Side YMCA of Metro Chicago, Board of Directors
- Lawyers in the Classroom, Volunteer
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Member
- Wisconsin Alumni Association, Member
- Saint Ignatius College Prep Young Alumni Society, Member