As a litigator, Jennifer Friedman primarily represents clients in complex commercial litigation and employment litigation. She is committed to providing each of her clients with the best defense and a solution tailored to their needs and goals while maintaining a high-quality work product and personalized service.
In the area of commercial litigation, she works with financial institutions, business organizations—both large and small—and individuals, helping them navigate complex tort claims and achieve the best result possible, whether that is a complete defense of all claims, or favorable settlement. Further, Jennifer has experience litigating e-Discovery disputes involving claims of spoliation of electronically stored information.
Jennifer also dedicates her time to serving the interests of minor or disabled children. She was recently elected to the list of Cook County attorneys who have been approved as Child representatives/Guardians Ad Litem in contested parental allocation (formerly custody) matters found on the Cook County Court page for Domestic Relations Division. This list serves as a resource for Cook County judges in the domestic relations division in appointing child representatives/GALs/attorneys for children on those cases which require them.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Jennifer practiced at firms in Chicago, as well as Arizona. Most recently, she was managing attorney for the Arizona branch of the largest litigation firm in California's San Fernando Valley. While there, she defended premises liability claims for various insurance companies and their insureds and oversaw the handling of all of the firm's Arizona matters. As an associate with a firm in Phoenix, she handled matters involving personal injury, family law, probate, intellectual property and commercial litigation.
During law school, Jennifer was a legal extern at the Consulate of Mexico in Chicago. She also clerked with an immigration firm.
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar Member, 2016
- North Phoenix Bar Association, Member
- Board of Directors, 2012 – 2013
- Secretary, 2012 – 2013
- Arizona Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing claims against a large manufacturer and distributor for hostile work environment under Title VII Rights Act of 1964 and state law retaliatory discharge.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing personal injury claim against commercial transportation company.
- Obtained summary judgments in favor of national financial institutions on foreclosure and lien priority claims.
- Won a $2.2 million bench verdict and additional attorneys' fees award on behalf of an insurer in Arizona District Court after successful partial summary judgment motion and trial.
- Briefed successful summary judgment motions for financial institutions on million dollar loan deficiency actions.
- Researched and drafted dispositive motions in legal malpractice actions resulting in favorable settlements.
- Negotiated a surrender agreement on behalf of creditor (former LLC member) for collateral in partial satisfaction of $1M promissory note and security interest in business equipment of two Arizona restaurants and litigated creditor's subsequent lawsuit against LLC for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, breach of good faith and fair dealing and accounting to final judgment.
- Represented bank clients as creditors in borrower/guarantor Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
- Panelist, "Running Your Law Practice: Things You Didn't Learn in Law School," State Bar of Arizona Annual Convention, Chandler, Arizona, June 27, 2019
Although she maintains an office in Hinshaw's Phoenix location and handles complex commercial litigation matters in Arizona state and federal court, Jennifer resides in the Chicagoland area with her husband, Jay, her son and daughter, two cats and one dog.
An avid runner, Jennifer has completed three marathons. She set a new personal record in the BMO Harris Bank Phoenix Marathon in February 2015. Jennifer also enjoys running 5K 10K and half marathons both in Illinois and in Arizona. In June of 2018, she completed the North Shore Classic Half Marathon and another half in Phoenix in January 2019.
- Make-A-Wish Illinois, Wish Granter
- Serves as liaison between foundation and children
- PAWS (Pets Are Worth Saving), Volunteer
J.D., Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2004
B.A., Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2000
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois