James Castle is a litigator who handles a wide range of matters, including insurance and general business disputes. James represents all aspects of the defense of life, long-term care, and disability insurers in coverage and bad faith litigation. He also represents health plans in payment disputes with medical providers.
Previously James was a deputy district attorney for the Orange County District Attorney's Office, where he prosecuted criminal cases. During law school, James served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Gladys Kessler, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, and as a law clerk for the United States Senate Judiciary Committee.
A selection of James's representative matters includes:
- Represented a health plan in arbitration proceedings regarding the proper allocation of financial responsibility for nursing services provided to numerous patients by a hospital under a capitated service agreement.
- Represented a health plan in a payment dispute with a rehabilitation center regarding the medical necessity of services provided to the plan's members.
- Represented insurers in matters before the Department of Insurance, including prior approval rate hearings, unfair claims practices and orders to show cause, market conduct examinations, notices of noncompliance, and enforcement actions.
- Represented Fortune 500 companies in employment and protection of trade secret matters in federal and state courts.
- Represented insurance companies and welfare benefit plans in claims for ERISA benefits in federal court.
- Represented an insurance company before the State Board of Equalization and in state court in its challenge to an assessment of premium taxes based upon out-of-state activities.
- Represented an auto insurance company in nationwide class action challenging the insurer's practices when faced with "diminished value" claims.
- Ninth Circuit Rules in Favor of Medical Provider in Dispute with Insurer Regarding Anti-Assignment ProvisionsFebruary 25, 2021The LHD/ERISA Advisor
- Third Circuit Rules State Law Reimbursement Claims Brought by Out-of-Network Medical Provider Not Precluded by ERISAOctober 4, 2020The LHD/ERISA Advisor
During his undergraduate studies, James was a member of the University of Southern California Water Polo Team, where he was captain, a national champion, and an All-American.
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2004
B.S., University of Southern California, 1999
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of California