Ira Gonzalez defends the interests of his clients in litigation, handling both civil and commercial matters. His wide-reaching experience includes advising clients on issues concerning construction, real estate, local government, land use, product liability, toxic torts, transportation, entertainment and media, and environmental and premise liability.
With his deep litigation knowledge, Ira also helps clients on all aspects of both insurer-driven and insured-directed legal matters. This includes defending companies facing tort and commercial claims, such as those involving commercial and consumer products, wines, pet and garden products, motor vehicles, and sporting goods.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Ira bolstered his civil and commercial litigation experience with firms in Miami and New Orleans.
Before entering into private practice, Ira served in several roles in Miami government, including working as the Chief of Operations for Code Enforcement, and an Assistant Policy Coordinator for the Mayor. During his tenure, he directed zoning and city enforcement activities and represented city interests at special master and code enforcement hearings. Ira was also a law clerk for the Office of the City Attorney where he analyzed zoning laws, local code applicability, lien foreclosure, and federal and state preemption issues.
Ira was also previously a real estate director for a national media company. While there, he developed a business model and expanded the company's footprint into the Texas market.
- American Bar Association
- Section of Litigation, Products Liability Committee
- Chemical & Toxic Tort Subcommittee, Co-Chair
- Consumer Products Subcommittee, Former Co-Chair
- Young Lawyers Subcommittee, Former Co-Chair
- Section of Litigation, Products Liability Committee
- Cuban American Bar Association
- Florida Bar
- Governmental and Public Policy Advocacy Committee
- Hispanic Lawyers' Association of Louisiana, President
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a "Top Lawyer" in the area of Business Law by South Florida Legal Guide, 2020
- Barry University Distinguished Alumni, 2018
- Recognized on the "Ones to Watch" list by New Orleans CityBusiness, 2015
- Loyola University Institute of Politics, Fellow, 2015
- Pro Bono Century Award, Louisiana State Bar Association, 2015
- Moderator, "Potential Health Risks and Regulatory Hurdles Associated with Cannabis and its Concentrates," ABA Section of Litigation Products Liability Committee - Chemical & Toxic Torts Subcommittee Roundtable, National Teleconference, February 20, 2019
- Panelist, "How to Properly Handle Internal Investigations to Preserve Privileges," ABA, Squaw Valley (Lake Tahoe), California, January 2017
- Co-Author, "Florida" section, ALFA International Transportation Practice Group's 2018 Transportation Law Compendium, September 2018
- "The Leaning Tower of San Francisco," ABA Section of Litigation Products Liability Committee's Practice Points, December 23, 2016
- Co-Author, "Will Arbitration Clauses in Consumer Contracts Become Extinct?," ABA Section of Litigation Products Liability Committee's Practice Points, May 25, 2016
- Co-Author, "The Evolution of Drywall Litigation," ABA Section of Litigation Products Liability Committee's Practice Points, August 10, 2015
- Co-Author, "Regulating the Vacancy of Property,” ABA's The Urban Lawyer, Summer 2010; republished in At The Cutting Edge 2010
- Cited in multiple publications, law reviews and briefs including the Supreme Court of the United States Amici Curiae brief in Bank of America et al. v. City of Miami, Nos. 15-1111 & 15-1112; and "Perspectives on Environmental Law Scholarship," Cambridge University Press, 2018
- Attorney: New Florida Ruling Could Have Lasting Impact on Real Estate Sector, Daily Business Review, March 3, 2021
- "Miami Litigator Achieves Childhood Dreams of Baseball, Municipal, Legal Careers," Daily Business Review, July 13, 2020
- "Will lawsuit over old Jacksonville landfill site still mention landfill?" The Florida Times-Union, December 21, 2019
- "FL Administrative Court Rules Building Official Lacked Authority to Make a Determination as to Vested Rights on Land in FEMA Flood Zone," Law of the Land – a blog on land use, law, and zoning, June 23, 2019
- Trial Spotlight: Florida Trial Court Grants Summary Judgment in Case Involving Elusive International DefendantsDecember 29, 2020
- August 27, 2020
- February 27, 2020
Ira was born and raised in Miami, Florida. He played collegiate baseball on an athletic scholarship after earning first team All Miami-Dade County and second team All-State honors in high school, where he led his team to the State Championship and was inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame.
In college, Ira was named Freshman Player of the Year in the Sunshine State Conference his rookie year and led the baseball program to its first-ever NCAA regional berth.
A proud alumni of Barry University and its athletics, Ira was featured in a video for his alma mater's BucClub program. The BucClub supports to Barry University student-athletes by funding scholarships, facility enhancements, and individual team needs.
- Mater Academy High School's Law Society, Advisor
- The Pro Bono Project, Former Member of Board of Directors
- Village of Palmetto Bay, Special Master
- Visit Tampa Bay, Former Advisory Board Member
J.D., cum laude, Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, Environmental Law Certificate, 2010
M.B.A., Barry University, 2005
B.S., Barry University, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Louisiana