Heather McArn represents clients in the consumer financial services industry, focusing on regulatory compliance, data governance, and financial services matters. A seasoned legal counselor, Heather has 20 years of private and public sector experience handling complex corporate transactions, financings, bankruptcies, restructurings, investigations, and compliance issues.
Heather's clients benefit from her extensive hands-on knowledge of examination and supervision processes for banking and insurance regulation, as well as for emerging technologies such as fintech, cybersecurity, and digital assets. Her background has provided her with a deep understanding of business operations, which Heather leverages to help clients manage and understand their risks in light of ever-changing legal and regulatory environments.
Most recently before joining Hinshaw, Heather served as Chief of Staff and Special Counsel to the Superintendent of the New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS). During her tenure, she directed the administration and operations of the agency toward improved and innovative financial services regulation.
Prior to her leadership role in public service, Heather was a partner with an international law firm. While there, she handled significant restructuring and investigative matters, including representing the court-appointed examiner in Lehman Brothers' chapter 11 case.
Heather also clerked for two of the nation's leading bankruptcy judges. She began her career abroad advising multinational companies on capital raising, restructuring, and investment.
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- New York City Bar Association
- Compliance Committee
- Co-Presenter, "A Vision for 2020: Cybersecurity Compliance for the New Year," National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC), New York, January 28, 2020
- Hinshaw Adds Former Top Department of Financial Services Regulator to its Consumer Financial Services Practice in New YorkOctober 29, 2019Heather McArn is poised to expand Hinshaw's regulatory & compliance offerings
- CCPA Litigation Has Arrived and COVID-19 Will Not Delay Enforcement Heather D. McArn, Hailey J. Barthel
- Interactive COVID-19 Regulatory Map for Consumer Financial Institutions Heather D. McArn, Vaishali S. Rao
- NYDFS Issues Order and Instructions to Regulated Entities in Response to COVID-19 Heather D. McArn, Hailey J. Barthel
- Governors of California and New York Announce Enhanced Consumer Protection Agendas for 2020 Heather D. McArn, Hailey J. Barthel
- Senate Hearing Panel Suggests a Bipartisan National Data Privacy Standard Could Include a Private Right of Action Hailey J. Barthel, Heather D. McArn
Consumer Crossroads: Where Financial Services and Litigation Intersect
- January 28, 2020Insights for Insurers: Cyber Coverage
- Consumer Law Regulatory Insights: Third of CFPB Symposia Series Debates the Data Collection Rule of Section 1701 of the Dodd-Frank ActNovember 15, 2019Consumer Financial Services Alert