Heather McArn advises financial services businesses on regulatory compliance, the integration of financial technology with business operations, and on data governance, cyber security, and incident-response best practices. She prepares clients for regulatory exams, and advises them on responding to regulator inquiries and investigations, as well as the creation and implementation of policies and procedures to meet evolving requirements.
Heather has extensive experience handling corporate restructuring and insolvency matters. Over the course of her career, she has represented debtors, creditors, financial institutions, trustees, and examiners in connection with large chapter 11 restructurings, transactions, and compliance investigations, including Lehman Brothers, General Motors, and MF Global.
Before joining Hinshaw, Heather served as Chief of Staff and Special Counsel at the New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS) where she led efforts to modernize the agency's examination, supervision, and investigation processes and resources. This included launching a new research and innovation division dedicated to virtual currency supervision and implementing the agency's new cyber security regulations. In her role, Heather also spearheaded state budget and legislative proposals in support of consumer protection, data security, and financial inclusion policies.
Heather has clerked for two of the nation's leading bankruptcy judges and began her legal career at Price Waterhouse Budapest, advising on foreign investments and privatizations in Hungary.
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- New York City Bar Association
- Compliance Committee
Honors & Awards
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by New York Metro Super Lawyers magazine, 2012
- Co-Presenter, "A Vision for 2020: Cybersecurity Compliance for the New Year," National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC), New York, January 28, 2020
- Hinshaw Adds Former Top Department of Financial Services Regulator to its Consumer Financial Services Practice in New YorkOctober 29, 2019Heather McArn is poised to expand Hinshaw's regulatory & compliance offerings
- Validating Cyber Compliance in Light of the First DFS Enforcement Action Judith A. Selby, Heather D. McArn
- Another Cybersecurity Wake Up Call: Connecticut Insurance Department Issues Guidance on Cyber Law Set to go Into Effect Judith A. Selby, Heather D. McArn
- Long-Awaited DFS Cyber Enforcement Action Sees Charges Filed Against Title Insurer For Exposing Millions of Documents Containing Consumer Personal Information Judith A. Selby, Heather D. McArn
- New York DFS Launches "FastForward" Program Aimed at Driving Innovative Financial Services and Products
- CFPB Issues New Mortgage Servicer Guidelines for Transferring Loans to a New Servicer
- Popular Video Conferencing Zoom App Hit with CCPA Class Actions Heather D. McArn, Hailey J. Barthel
- CCPA Litigation Has Arrived and COVID-19 Will Not Delay Enforcement Heather D. McArn, Hailey J. Barthel
- Interactive COVID-19 Regulatory Map for Consumer Financial Institutions Heather D. McArn, Vaishali S. Rao
- NYDFS Issues Order and Instructions to Regulated Entities in Response to COVID-19 Heather D. McArn, Hailey J. Barthel
- Governors of California and New York Announce Enhanced Consumer Protection Agendas for 2020 Heather D. McArn, Hailey J. Barthel
- Senate Hearing Panel Suggests a Bipartisan National Data Privacy Standard Could Include a Private Right of Action Hailey J. Barthel, Heather D. McArn
Consumer Crossroads: Where Financial Services and Litigation Intersect
- January 28, 2020Insights for Insurers: Cyber Coverage
- Consumer Law Regulatory Insights: Third of CFPB Symposia Series Debates the Data Collection Rule of Section 1701 of the Dodd-Frank ActNovember 15, 2019Consumer Financial Services Alert
Heather has been actively involved in pro bono representation and advocacy on behalf of immigrants, victims of domestic violence, human trafficking and elder financial abuse. She has an M.S. in Urban Planning, and curated and co-authored a museum exhibit and book on Frederick Law Olmsted park design.
J.D., Vermont Law School, 1992
M.S., Columbia University, 1988
B.A., Newcomb-Tulane College, 1986
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York