Hailey Barthel's practice encompasses all aspects of consumer financial services. With a background in both the private and public sectors, she represents clients in regulatory investigations and enforcement actions, compliance counseling, and data governance matters. Hailey has recently expanded her practice to advising on emerging privacy and cybersecurity laws and regulations.
In addition, Hailey has considerable litigation experience. She has defended national banks and financial services companies including mortgage lenders and servicers in connection with federal and state consumer protection matters arising from allegations of mortgage fraud, predatory lending and violations of consumer protection statutes.
Before joining Hinshaw, Hailey practiced at the New York headquarters of a national law firm. While there, she counseled clients on compliance with federal regulations and administrative proceedings, and defended domestic and international companies in complex commercial litigation. Hailey began her career as Assistant Corporation Counsel for the Special Federal Litigation Division of the New York City Law Department, where she litigated civil rights cases from inception to trial. Hailey also previously served as a specialist in the Civil Division's Civil Frauds Unit for the U.S. Attorney's Office of the Southern District of New York. In that capacity, she assisted in investigating and prosecuting large-scale frauds, including health care fraud, mortgage fraud, and other fraud in connection with federal monies and spending.
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- New York City Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- New York Law School
- Two-Year Honor Program
- Popular Video Conferencing Zoom App Hit with CCPA Class Actions Heather D. McArn, Hailey J. Barthel
- CCPA Litigation Has Arrived and COVID-19 Will Not Delay Enforcement Heather D. McArn, Hailey J. Barthel
- NYDFS Issues Order and Instructions to Regulated Entities in Response to COVID-19 Heather D. McArn, Hailey J. Barthel
- Governors of California and New York Announce Enhanced Consumer Protection Agendas for 2020 Heather D. McArn, Hailey J. Barthel
- Senate Hearing Panel Suggests a Bipartisan National Data Privacy Standard Could Include a Private Right of Action Hailey J. Barthel, Heather D. McArn
Consumer Crossroads: Where Financial Services and Litigation Intersect
- New York Cares