Czarina Powell represents clients in civil litigation, focusing on matters involving product liability, as well as personal injury and property damage. With experience handling every aspect of litigation—from initial investigation to post-trial motions and appeals—Czarina partners with her clients throughout the process, and works tirelessly to defend their interests in the resolution of disputes.
Before joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Czarina practiced at a Chicago-based firm where she successfully defended municipal clients in state and federal court in tort and civil rights matters, securing motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment. Prior to entering private practice, Czarina served as an Assistant State's Attorney for Cook County within the Special Litigation, Traffic, and Appellate Divisions. During her tenure, she litigated motions, tried both bench and jury trials to verdict, and filed 23 appellee briefs in the First District Appellate Court of Illinois.
During law school, Czarina worked as a Judicial Extern for the Honorable Mathias W. Delort of the First District Illinois Appellate Court. She also served as the Publication Editor for the Canada-United States Law Journal; was President of the law school newspaper, The Docket; and was a senior member of the winning Jonathan M. Ault mock trial team.
Prior to law school, Czarina taught English in South Korea, and spent her last two years there working at Cheongju National University of Education.
- Black Women Lawyers' Association of Greater Chicago (BWLA)
- Canada-U.S. Business Council Chicago (CUSBC)
- Chicago Bar Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL)
- National Filipino American Lawyers' Association (NFALA)
Honors & Awards
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Case Global Service Award
- Diane Ethics Award
- Order of Barristers
- "Law Division changes to health record access causes confusion," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, April 1, 2019
- "The NAFTA Alternative: Saving KORUS FTA Dumping Appeals from the Dumps," Canada-United States Law Journal, Vol. 39, Iss. 3, 2015
When she is not working, you can find Czarina and her husband running after their toddler and two dogs.
J.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Law, 2014
B.A., with distinction, University of Toronto - St. George Campus, 2007
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar