Candace Hays represents clients in a wide range of labor and employment matters. With experience that includes legal research, drafting and preparing motions and evaluating complex legal issues in preparation for jury trials and motion hearings, she is involved in all phases of litigation.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Candace was a solo practitioner working on intellectual property matters and coordinating trademark activities. She also practiced at a firm in Milwaukee, where she represented clients in various court proceedings, including those involving criminal and family law matters.
While attending law school, Candace was a judicial intern for the Honorable Rebecca G. Bradley, Wisconsin Supreme Court. She was also a legal intern for a global machinery company and a law clerk for a firm in Madison. In addition to her other academic accomplishments, Candace was an active member of the Marquette Intellectual Property Law Review, serving as Editor-in-Chief of the publication her final year of law school.
Before embarking on her legal career, Candace worked in accounting for Independent Publishers Group.
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Association of African American Lawyers (WAAL)
Honors & Awards
- Marquette University Law School
- CALI Award for the Highest Grade in "Legal Analysis, Writing, & Research I"
- WAAL, VelanDale Scholarship Award Recipient
Candace serves as a co-editor of the firm's Employment Law Observer blog. Her other publications include:
- "What's Your Story? Every Famous Mark Has One: Persuasion in Trademark Opposition Briefs," Marquette Intellectual Property Law Review, 2017
- August 28, 2019
Candace is a Chicago native and enjoys going back to visit family and friends in her spare time. In her spare time, she also enjoys completing jigsaw puzzles, reading, and exploring the city of Milwaukee.
J.D., Marquette University Law School, 2017
B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin