Andrew May is a seasoned securities and commodities attorney. Leveraging insights gained through decades of experience, Andrew represents individuals and entities and helps them navigate complex compliance issues, as well as regulatory and exchange enforcement actions, and customer disputes. He prides himself on being a true counselor to his clients—focusing on understanding their unique operations, concerns, and challenges, as much as he does the laws and regulations governing their operations.
Having served futures and securities industry participants for over 20 years, Andrew handles a wide range of legal issues faced daily by futures commission merchants (FCMs), introducing brokers, commodity pool operations (CPOs), commodity trading advisors (CTAs), floor brokers, and propriety traders. He also defends the interests of proprietary trading firms, registered investment advisers (RIAs), clearing and retail broker-dealers (BDs), registered representatives (RRs), and hedge funds and their operators.
Andrew also has extensive experience in enforcement actions, examinations, and investigations involving the:
- Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC)
- Securities Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE)
- Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT)
- Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME)
- Chicago Stock Exchange (CSE), and
- National Futures Association (NFA).
He has also handled arbitrations before the NFA, FINRA, and various exchanges such as the CBOT, CME, and the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).
In addition to his extensive experience with virtually all aspects of securities and commodities markets, Andrew advises financial services clients on business formation, compliance, disclosure, registration, and transactional matters.
Andrew's legal career includes two decades with firms throughout Chicagoland. Most recently, Andrew practiced with a Chicago-based firm. A majority of his career was spent as a solo practitioner, concentrating within the areas of commodity futures regulation, broker-dealer regulation, and investment management.
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- "Clients' Choice Award" for Financial Services, AVVO, 2015
- "Clients' Choice Award" for Financial Services, AVVO, 2012
- Represented SEC Registered Investment Advisor with over $1 billion in assets under management in first SEC examination on site over four days and in the ensuing 20 months ensuring that a mere deficiency letter and no referral to Department of Enforcement was entered.
- Represented Registered Representative during "on the record" interview over four sessions and obtained a mere letter of caution despite an ongoing FINRA arbitration case.
- "Drafting Subscription Agreements and How They Relate to Private Placement Memoranda," Complex Commercial Contracts: The Legal Principles You Need to Know for Effective Drafting presented by the State Bar of Wisconsin, Virtual Event, February 24, 2021
- "What is a Security and Do You Have an Investment Contract Hiding in Plain Sight," CLE Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, September 15, 2018
- "When is a promissory note more than meets the eye? Does your transaction have a securities issue hiding in 'plain sight?,'" Client Alert, March 7, 2019
- "SEC's National Examination Priorities for 2019 According to Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations (OCIE)," Client Alert, January 29, 2019
- "Risk alert listing frequently found advisory fee and expense compliance issues from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)," Client Alert, July 31, 2018
- "U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission launches Share Class Selection Disclosure Initiative," Client Alert, May 27, 2018
- "Financial Industry Regulatory Authority set to tighten expungement rules even further," Client Alert, May 22, 2018
- February 18, 2021Hinshaw Alert
- SEC Adopts Exempt Offering Rule Changes That Increase Offering Limits and Harmonize Exempt OfferingsNovember 18, 2020Hinshaw Alert
- New Proposed SEC Rule Would Allow Finders to Receive Commissions Without Registering as a Broker DealerNovember 3, 2020Hinshaw Alert
- September 24, 2020Hinshaw Alert
Andrew is a devoted father, who delights in raising his children. He enjoys watching their baseball, figure skating, and gymnastics practices and events.
- Options Alliance, Counsel, 2014 – 2017
J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 1995
B.A., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1992
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan