Timothy Newlin brings more than 40 years of experience to his litigation and business law practice. He has extensive experience in the defense of workers' compensation claims.
Tim's practice encompasses clients in many industries, including construction—most notably, Walsh Construction—and health care. He has represented many facets of the OSF Healthcare System including: OSF St. Francis Medical Center, OSF Corporate, and OSF St. Mary's Hospitals.
Throughout his career, Tim has practiced in the areas of real estate, family law, personal injury, workers' compensation, products liability, probate, toxic torts, creditors' rights and insurance claims defense. Prior to joining Hinshaw, he was a partner at a defense firm in Peoria, Illinois. He was also an Assistant Vice President at National City Bank—now PNC Bank—where he worked as an attorney in the area of Estate Settlement.
In April 2011, Tim was appointed to the position of Peoria County Public Administrator/Public Guardian by Illinois Governor Pat Quinn and confirmed by the Illinois State Senate. He served in that position through 2013.
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Peoria County Bar Association, Member
- Central Illinois Estate Planning Council, Member
- Illinois Supreme Court, Committee on Character and Fitness for Illinois Board of Admissions to the Bar, Member
- American Inns of Court Barrister, Member
- Greater Peoria Claims Association, Former President
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in the areas of Personal Injury Defense Law and General and Workers' Compensation Defense Law
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Rated as a "Top Lawyer in Illinois" by Chicago Lawyer Magazine
Workers' Compensation Defense
- Defended a hospital at trial resulting in judgment in client's favor. The defense against a claim involving alleged workplace trauma was based upon the opinion testimony of an independent examining physician at evidence deposition.
- Defended a hospital at trial resulting in judgment in client's favor. The defense against a claim involving alleged back injury was based upon the testimony of an independent examining physician at evidence deposition.
- "Retaliatory Discharge Actions Under Illinois Law," Sterling Education's Workers' Compensation Commission Law & Practice Seminar, Bloomington, Illinois, June 2015
- "Retaliatory Discharge Actions Under Illinois Law," Sterling Education's Workers' Compensation Law & Practice Seminar, Bloomington, Illinois, June 2014
- "Workers' Compensation Developments," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, October 2011
- "Public Act 097-0018, Including the Newly Amended Illinois Workers' Compensation Act," OSF St. Francis and OSF St Joseph Medical Centers, Peoria, Illinois, July 2011
- Autism Speaks, 17th Congressional District Advocate
- Peoria Christian Business Committee, Member
- Peoria Girl's Sports League, Member
- Peoria Youth Boy's Basketball League, Member
- Big Brothers Big Sister, Big Brother since 2011
- Crime Stoppers of Greater Peoria, Board Member
- City of Peoria, At Large City Council Member, 2017
- Neighborhood Watch Group, Past President
- Lutheran Ministries, Former Board Member
- South Side Mission Board, Former Member
- Peoria Leadership Prayer Breakfast, Former Chairman
- St. Philomena PTO, Past President
- Rotary Club of Peoria, Former Director
- West Point Parents Club, Past President
J.D., Southern Methodist University, 1977
B.A., Southern Methodist University, 1974
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois