Sunny Sohn uses her background in human resources and international politics and business to advise public and private organizations in labor and employment litigation and counseling matters. She counsels her clients on issues such as: employment discrimination arising from Title VII, ADA, ADEA and state discrimination laws; state and federal wage and hour matters; employer reorganization matters such as voluntary separation programs, RIFs and WARN notices; traditional labor and whistleblower defense investigations.
Sunny provides insight into litigation and due diligence maters for a variety of industry sectors including technology, manufacturing, fast food, merchandise retail and financial services. She also provides legal advice to domestic and international non-profit organizations, public and charter K-12 schools and higher education institutions.
Sunny has presented on a wide variety of labor and employment topics such as employment discrimination, ADA, FMLA, and labor union election procedures to clients and professional bar associations.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Sunny was a labor and employment litigator at the Chicago location of an international law firm based in New York.
During law school, she was an extern for the Honorable Young B. Kim at the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the Honorable Mary Anne Mason at the Chancery Division of the Circuit Court of Cook County.
Before embarking on her legal career, Sunny was Vice President for Human Resources at Citigroup and a HR professional at The Gillette Company. In those roles, she managed employee recruitment, compensation, succession planning, human capital strategy and general employee management.
- Chicago Bar Association
- Labor and Employment Committee, Young Lawyers Section, Member, 2013–Present
- Labor and Employment Committee, Young Lawyers Section, Co-Vice Chair, 2014–Present
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Member, 2013–Present
- Korean American Bar Association
- Member, 2011–Present
- Officer, Co-Vice President, 2016–Present
- Officer, Secretary, 2013–2016
- "A Primer on Pregnancy and Maternity-Related Employment Laws: Discrimination, Leave, and Accommodation," Fifth Annual Minority Bar CLE Conference, Chicago, IL, June 22, 2017
- "First 100 Days: Labor and Employment under the Trump Administration," Chicago Bar Association – Young Lawyers Section, Chicago, IL, May 25, 2017
- "Crash Course in L&E Law: What Every Young Attorney Should Know," Chicago Bar Association – Young Lawyers Section, Chicago, IL, September 22, 2016
- Unpacking the Supreme Court's Janus Decision Sunghee "Sunny" W. Sohn, Tom H. Luetkemeyer
- Multiple Minimum Wage Increases to Take Effect on July 1, 2018
Employment Law Observer
- Asian Giving Circle, Donor and Member, 2017–Present
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Adjunct Professor, 2015–Present
- Chicago Public Library, Junior Board Society, Member, 2014–Present
- Lyric Opera, Lyric Young Professionals, Member, 2014–Present
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2013
M.S., Global Affairs, New York University, 2006
B.S., Industrial and Labor Relations, Cornell University, 2001