Stanley Davidson concentrates his practice in the areas of medical professional liability, risk management and appellate law, and for the last few decades has focused primarily on representing hospitals, nurses and physicians in medical malpractice lawsuits.
Mr. Davidson joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in September 1973. He served on Hinshaw's Management Committee for 10 years, and has been the Chair of the Contingent Fee Committee for over 20 years.
In the September 26, 2005 issue of American Medical News, Mr. Davidson was one of the attorneys interviewed for “An Ounce of Prevention,” an article offering an insider’s view of omissions that could propel a physician into a liability lawsuit.
- Decalogue Society of Lawyers, Past Member
- Defense Research Institute, Past Member
- Illinois Society of Trial Lawyers, Past Member
- American Bar Association, Past Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Past Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Past Member
- Appellate Lawyers Association of Illinois, Past Member, President (1985–1986)
Honors & Awards
- Named to the Super Lawyer list in the areas of Heath Care Law, Medical Malpractice Defense and Personal Injury Defense: Medical Malpractice
- Recognized by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in the category of Personal Injury Defense Law: Professional Malpractice
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
Mr. Davidson frequently lectures to physicians, nurses and their professional organizations on medical legal liability issues. Organizations include:
- American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses
- American Society for Healthcare Risk Management (ASHRM)
- Midwest Anesthesia/PeriAnesthesia Conference
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Mount Sinai Hospital
- NorthShore University HealthSystem (formerly Evanston Hospital)
He has also lectured to the following institutions:
- The Chicago Bar Association
- DePaul University College of Law
- IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology
He is also an active speaker on medical law and appellate practice topics at hospitals, medical centers, colleges and legal organizations. His presentations have included:
- “Avoiding Civil War—Guarding Against the Uncivilized Opponent,” Chicago Bar Association, Civil Practice Committee, Chicago, Illinois, May 2013.
- “Avoiding Unnecessary Disputes in Litigation and Dealing with the Contentious Opponent,” Hinshaw University, Chicago, Illinois, September 2011.
- “Medical Malpractice in the ED,” NorthShore University HealthSystem, ED Nurses Journal Club, Evanston, Illinois, May 2010.
- “Strategies for Reducing Malpractice Risk,” 2007 Midwest Anesthesiology Conference, Illinois Society of Anesthesiologists, Chicago, Illinois, November 2007.
- “Everything You Wanted to Know About Malpractice but Were Too Terrified to Ask,” 25th National Conference of the American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses, Orlando, Florida, May 2006.
- "Pediatric Risk Management: It's Not Child's Play," lecture, Pediatricians, Wyndham Garden Hotel, Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois, given in conjunction with Dr. William Wittert and presented by Illinois State Medical Inter-Insurance Exchange, May 2005, May 2001 and September 1999.
- “Looking at the Medical Chart Through the Eyes of a Jury: Documentation Cases Studies,” American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses, Chicago, Illinois, April 2005.
- "Medical Malpractice Issues for Nurses," faculty, Midwest Anesthesia Conference/PeriAnesthesia Conference, Sheraton Chicago Hotel, May 2003.
- "Consent and Refusal of Care Issues," Lecture, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Division of Emergency Medicine, Residency Program, July 2002.
- Lecture, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Department of Anesthesia, Anesthesia Residency Program, Grand Rounds, May 2002.
- "Nursing Malpractice Issues," lecture, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, Division of Emergency Medicine, Nurses Journal Club, May 2002.
- "Medical Malpractice," lecture, Department of Emergency Medicine, Mt. Sinai Hospital, August 2001.
- "Medical Malpractice," lecture, Department of Internal Medicine, Finch University of Health Sciences/The Chicago Medical School, Mt. Sinai Hospital, July 2001.
- "Minimizing the Chance of Malpractice Lawsuits," lecture, Faculty and Residents, Mt. Sinai Hospital Family Practice Residency Program, February 2001.
- "Medical Malpractice," lecture, ICU and CCU Nurses of Evanston Northwestern Hospital, February 2000.
- "The Do's and Don'ts of Medical Record Charting," lecture, Attending Physicians and Residents, Departments of Medical Education and Obstetrics and Gynecology, Continuing Medical Education Conference, Ravenswood Hospital Medical Center, December 1999.
- "Consents," Discussion, Hand Surgery Associates, Arlington Heights, Illinois, November 1999.
- "Medical Malpractice from a Plaintiff's Attorney's Perspective,"lecture, Attendees, American Society for Healthcare Risk Management (ASHRM), 1999 Annual Conference and Exhibition, Hyatt Regency Hotel, Chicago, Illinois, given in conjunction with attorney Robert. A. Clifford, October 1999.
- "Malpractice in Medicine," Television Appearance, TCI Cable Systems, Apple A Day, Dr. Lewis Cohen, broadcast twice a day during November 1998.
- "Protection Against Medical Malpractice," lecture, Medical Staff, Oak Park Hospital, October 1998.
- "The Medical Record: Do's and Don'ts," lecture, Internal Medicine Grand Rounds, Ravenswood Hospital Medical Center, August 1997.
- "Malpractice for Nurses," Lecture, Senior Nursing Students, Ravenswood Hospital Medical Center, Henry J. Kutch School of Nursing, November 1995.
- "Medical Malpractice Issues," lecture, Medical Staff, Columbus Hospital, June 1995.
- "Medical Malpractice Issues for Emergency Room Nurses," lecture, Emergency Department Nurses, Evanston Hospital, November 1994.
- "Protecting Against Medical Malpractice,"lecture, Emergency Medical Grand Rounds for Emergency Medicine Interns, Residents and Attendings of Evanston Hospital and Northwestern Memorial Hospital, January 1993.
- "Protecting Against Malpractice," lecture, Medical Staff, Ravenswood Hospital Medical Center, March 1992.
- "Medical Malpractice," lecture, Nursing Staff, Norwegian American Hospital, May 1992.
- "Medical Malpractice," lecture, Department of Pediatrics, Ravenswood Hospital Medical Center, May 1991.
- "Current Legal Challenges of R.N.s," lecture, Triton College, November 1991.
- “Illinois Civil Practice After Trial,” chapter author, "The Record," IICLE, 1980.