Samuel Sorich has been a respected representative of the California insurance industry for more than 25 years. He focuses his work on expanding the firm's presence and relationships in the capital, particularly with the Department of Insurance and other state agencies.
Mr. Sorich joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2014 as a result of the merger of Hinshaw and the Los Angeles-based firm of Barger & Wolen LLP. He resides in the firm's Sacramento office. Prior to his tenure with Barger, Mr. Sorich served from 2002 to 2010 as President of the Association of California Insurance Companies (ACIC), California's longest established property/casualty insurance trade association. As president of the ACIC, Mr. Sorich directed the association's legislative, regulatory and litigation activities. Under his leadership, the ACIC played a key role in the:
- crafting and regulatory implementation of the 2003-2004 workers compensation reforms;
- development of regulations that implement Proposition 103's provisions on auto insurance rating and underwriting;
- litigation that determines the scope of the insurance commissioner's authority over homeowners insurance underwriting; and
- legislation that provides consumers with effective disclosures regarding insurance coverages.
Prior to joining the ACIC, Mr. Sorich served for more than seven years as Regional Vice President of one of the predecessor associations of the Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI). In that position, Mr. Sorich took an active role in addressing the significant California property/casualty insurance issues, including:
- workers compensation reforms;
- the creation of the California Earthquake Authority;
- homeowners insurers' responses to numerous wildfires;
- the adoption of fair claims settlement practices; and
- the ongoing regulatory and judicial implementation of Proposition 103.
While leading the ACIC, Mr. Sorich continued to direct PCI's efforts in Arizona, Oregon, Nevada, Hawaii and other western states. For nearly a decade, Sorich represented the insurers before the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and took the advocacy lead on several important issues including market conduct exams, producer licensing, and insurers' use of credit information for underwriting and rating.
Prior to his legal career in insurance, Mr. Sorich served as a Peace Corps volunteer and as an assistant attorney general in the office of the Illinois Attorney General.
- Appointed for a term by the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury to the Taxpayer Advocacy Panel, 2011–2014
Mr. Sorich has been a guest on the A.M. BestTV podcast. His publications include:
- Co-Author, "CDI Investigatory Hearing to Create a Record on Affinity Group Discounts in Connection with Private Passenger Automobile Insurance," FORC Quarterly Journal of Insurance Law and Regulation, Fall 2019
- "Impact of Recent California Legislation," A.M. Best podcast, September 17, 2012
- "Iran Investment Bill Well-Intentioned, But Unconstitutional," Insurance Journal, July 2012