Roy Bossen concentrates his practice in corporate health care. He has represented numerous hospitals and physician groups in corporate and regulatory matters.
Roy has extensive experience in compliance counseling, structuring and implementing joint ventures, physician contracting and compensation, establishing and representing medical practices and the acquisition and sale of medical practices. Roy also has significant experience in regulatory, tax exemption and accreditation counseling. He is regularly involved in drafting and reviewing medical staff bylaws, corporate bylaws, managed care contracts, and medical legal policies and procedures.
Roy joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in December 1985. He is the former leader of the firm's Health Care Practice Group.
He served as an Adjunct Professor at George Williams College from 1983 to 1985.
- The American Health Lawyers Association
- Illinois Association of Health Care Attorneys, Former President
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell rated for ethics and legal ability
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Health Care Law, 2016 – 2020
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2005 – 2015
Roy frequently speaks on health care-related topics. His presentations include:
- "Compliance Programs," Illinois Critical Access Hospital Network (ICAHN) Compliance Workshop, Springfield, Illinois, June 20, 2019
- "Interpreting and Negotiating Employment and Compensation Contracts," American Gastroenterology Association's Practice Skills Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, April 1, 2017
- "Best and Worst Practices in Hospital/Physician Alliances, Including Advanced Physician Contracting and Compensation Models," Hinshaw's Annual Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2012
- "Updating Hospital and Physician Compliance Plans," Hinshaw's 2009 Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2009
- "Board of Directors' Roles and Responsibilities," Ottawa Regional Hospital & Healthcare Center, Ottawa, Illinois, August 2009
- "EMTALA: The Basics – Plus More," Illinois Hospital Association, live webinar, July 2009
- "Provider-Based Status and the Illinois Medicaid Dilemma," Illinois Hospital Association live webinar, June 2009
- "Stark Update," Hinshaw's 2008 Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2008
- "Physician Compensation," Hinshaw's 2007 Health Care Conference: Current Issues Affecting the Governance and Management of Hospitals and Health Systems, Oakbrook, Illinois, November 2007
- "Avoiding the Pitfalls of Joint Ventures," Renaissance American Management's annual seminar titled "Physician Agreements & Ventures: Successful Strategies for Negotiating Medical Transactions & Investments," Chicago, Illinois, November 2007
- "Joint Ventures," First Illinois Chapter, Healthcare Financial Management Association seminar titled, "Healthcare Finance: Back to the Future," Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2007
- "Physician Compensation Issues," Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys Annual Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, September 2007
- "Joint Venture Alternative Structures," Health Care Financial Management Association, live webinar, April 2007
- "Joint Ventures: Alternatives and Strategies," Hinshaw's 2006 Health Care Conference, "Current Issues Affecting Health System and Hospital Boards and Management," Chicago, Illinois, September 2006
- "Corporate Governance, Best Practices, Sarbanes-Oxley and Audit Committees," Hinshaw's 2005 Health Care Conference: "Current Issues Affecting Health System and Hospital Boards and Management," Chicago, Illinois, September 2005
- "Hospital /Physician Relations," Illinois Association of Health Care Attorneys, Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, October 2003
- "HIPAA Compliance for Medical Offices," Indian American Medical Association, January 2003
- "HIPAA for Employers," Rockford Business Alliance, February 2003
- "The Disruptive Physician," Illinois Association of Health Care Attorneys Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, October 2002
- "The Disruptive Physician and the ADA," Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, March 2002
- "HIPAA Compliance," Center for Imaging Associates, Arlington Heights, Illinois, April 2002
- "Establishing a Compliance Program," Center for Imaging Associates, Arlington Heights, Illinois April 2001
- "Fraud & Abuse Issues and Stark II Issues in Health Care Transactions," Annual Medical Staff Meeting, Hammond, Indiana, January 1999
- "Fraud & Self Reporting Concerns in the Sale of a Health Care Organization," Chicago, Illinois, October 1998
- "Physician Contracting Issues," Illinois Society of Internal Medicine & Rush Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, November 1997
- "Managed Care Contracting Issues," Lorman Productions, Chicago, Illinois, March 1996
- "Contracting Issues Involved in the Acquisition of Physician Practices," Illinois Association of Health Care Attorneys Annual Meeting, November 1995
- "Emerging Issues in Managed Care Liability," Employers Reinsurance Corporation Symposium, Oak Brook, Illinois, April 1995
- "Acquisitions of Physician Practices," Metropolitan Health Care Council, Chicago, Illinois, April 1995
- "PHO Formation Issues," Southern Illinois Health Care Financial Management Association, St. Louis, Missouri, March 1995."PHO and HMO Credentialing Issues," Illinois Association of Health Care Attorneys Annual Meeting, October 1994
- "Physician Contracting Issues," Illinois Society of Internal Medicine & Rush Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, September 1994
- "Physician Recruitment Legal Strategies," National Association of Physician Recruiters, September 1994
- "The Physician's Role in Integrated Delivery System," Illinois Society of Risk Managers, Springfield, Illinois, June 1994
- "Economic Credentialing," Illinois Association of Hospital Attorneys, Chicago, Illinois, September 1992
- "Establishing a Medical Practice," Illinois State Medical Society & Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois, November 1991
- "Confidentiality in the Peer Review Process," Catholic Hospital Alliance, Chicago, Illinois, October 1991
- "Patient Self Determination Act," Thorek Hospital & Medical Center, August 1991
- "Joint Venture Activity in the 1990's," Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP Health Care Medical Malpractice Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, July 1991
- "Positioning Your Medical Practice for the 90's," Hyatt Regency O'Hare, 1990."Cause of Action Involving AIDS," Tucson, Arizona, 1990
- "Informed Consent in Medical Malpractice," Metropolitan Health Care Council, Chicago and Suburban Hospitals, 1988-1989
Mr. Bossen has authored the following:
- "CMS Medical Staffing Rule Leaves Questions Unanswered," co-author, Law360 Expert Analysis, August 11, 2014.
- "The Case for Federal Oversight of EHR Vendors to Promote Interoperability and Usability," co-author, Electronic Health Reporter, February 10, 2014.
- "Sharing of Secure Patient Information Requires Strong Breach and Notification Policies," co-author, Electronic Health Reporter, January 15, 2014.
- "Risk Management Concerns Arising Out of HITECH and the Hospital Re-admission Penalties Program," co-author, Electronic Health Reporter, November 14, 2013.
- "Commentary: the case for extending MU Stage 2," co-author, Government Health IT, August 30, 2013.
- "Healthcare Risk Management Challenges Created by Federal Regulation of Electronic Medical Records and Care Management," Journal of Healthcare Risk Management, July 16, 2013.
- "Commentary: Concerns About Quality Improvement Organizations Actions Around Meaningful Use," co-author, Government Health IT, June 25, 2013.
- "Commentary: Delving Into HIPAA Breach Notification," co-author, Government Health IT, May 1, 2013.
- "Commentary: The Litigation and Risk-Management Concerns Meaningful Use Triggers," co-author, Government Health IT, March 29, 2013.
- "FTC Suspends Enforcement of Red Flags Rule until May 2009," Hinshaw Health Care Law Alert, also published in Counsel to Counsel, a Martindale-Hubbell/LexisNexis publication, November 2008.
- "The OIG Recently Issued Advisory Opinions Indicating Sanctions Would Not Be Imposed on Several Hospitals Engaging in Gainsharing Programs," alert in Counsel to Counsel, Martindale-Hubbell, February 2005. Also available at Martindale-Hubbell online.
- "Office of Inspector General Approves Insurance Subsidy for Neurosurgeons," alert in Counsel to Counsel, Martindale-Hubbell, January 2005. Also available at Martindale-Hubbell online.
- Hinshaw Reports: Health Care, Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Editor, 1988 - 1991, 1994.
- "Economic Credentialing - Factoring Economic Considerations Into the Granting of Medical Staff Memberships and Privileges," Health Care Lawyer, Illinois State Bar Association, Vol. 9 No. 4, June 1993.
- "AIDS Law Update - The Balance Between Patients' Rights and Public Health," Occurrence, Vol. 14 No. 3, September 1992.
- "Community Benefit and the IRS; A New Look," ChicagoHealth Care, July 1992.
- "Safe Harbors and Physician Investment Interests," Administrative Radiology, October 1991.
- "Facing Termination of Care Questions Without Court Intervention," Risk Management Report, Fall 1990.
- "The Refusal of Medical Care by a Mature Minor - The Role of the Judiciary in the Process," Occurrence, 1990.
- "The Expansion of the Role of the Judiciary in Health Care Decisions," Occurrence, October - December 1989.
- "Medical Staff Bylaws: Regulations or Contract?," Hospital Progress, October 1978.
- August 15, 2019
- July 8, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- August 17, 2015
- August 20, 2014
- November 14, 2013
- July 7, 2017Health Law Alert
- June 23, 2016Health Law Alert
- June 22, 2016Health Law Alert
- June 20, 2016Health Law Alert
- June 2, 2016Health Law Alert
- March 28, 2016Health Law Alert
- February 15, 2016Health Law Alert
- December 17, 2015Health Law Alert
- November 24, 2015Health Law Alert
- August 20, 2014Health Law Alert
- February 14, 2013Health Law Alert
- January 24, 2013Health Law Alert
- OIG Releases Advisory Opinion Regarding Per Diem Fees Paid to Physicians for On-Call Coverage to Emergency DepartmentsNovember 8, 2012Health Law Alert
- June 14, 2012Health Law Alert
- March 6, 2012Health Law Alert
- February 28, 2012Health Law Alert
- May 11, 2011Health Law Alert
- May 5, 2011Health Law Alert
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Introduces Numerous Programs Focused on Quality and Delivery of Health CareMay 20, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- April 20, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
M.H.A., Saint Louis University, 1978
J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law, 1978
B.L.S., magna cum laude, Boston University, 1975
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri