Ronald Mallen is nationally recognized for his practice in lawyer professional liability, risk management and insurance coverage. During more than 40 years of practice, he has counseled numerous attorneys on issues of lawyers' professional responsibility.
Mr. Mallen has extensive trial and appellate experience, and has litigated many legal malpractice claims. His work with professional liability insurance encompasses coverage issues, litigation and the drafting of insurance policies.
Mr. Mallen is certified by the California Board of Legal Specialization as a legal specialist in Legal Malpractice Law.
Mr. Mallen joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in January 1998. He is a past leader of the firm's Lawyers for the Profession practice group. He is a Fellow of The American Bar Foundation, a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America and a member of The American Law Institute. He was a member of the consultative group on the Restatement (Third) of The Law of Lawyering.
Honors & Awards
- Named a "Lawyer of the Year" in the Legal Malpractice Law category for San Francisco by Best Lawyers, August 2014
- Listed in "The Best Lawyers in America," since its inception
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- "Gunn v. Minton," IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2013 Supreme Court IP Review, September 2013.
- Elected to a two-year term as Chair of the Editorial Board for the ABA/BNA Lawyers' Manual on Professional Conduct, June 2010.
- Since 1977, he has been the co-author of the leading treatise in the field, the five-volume work, "Legal Malpractice," and of "The Law Office Guide to Purchasing Legal Malpractice Insurance," which are updated and published annually by Thomson-West Group.
- Authored "Preventing Legal Malpractice," (2d ed. 1996). He has written more than 100 articles on a wide range of topics concerning lawyers' professional liability and risk management.
- Frequently lectures on lawyer professional liability issues.
- August 15, 2016
- June 23, 2016
- August 17, 2015
- June 9, 2015
- January 30, 2015
- January 12, 2015
- August 19, 2014
- August 18, 2014
J.D., University of California, Hastings College of Law, 1967
B.S., Stanford University, 1964
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California