Ronald Kammer has represented insurers throughout the United States for more than 35 years. He has been involved in many significant coverage matters including trials and appeals of cases involving an insurance company's duty to defend, trigger of coverage, breach of policy conditions, claims involving bad faith and unfair and deceptive trade practices, policy rescission and reformation. His experience includes cases involving employer’s liability, the use of automobiles, construction defect, pollution and advertising injury offenses such as copyright, trademark and patent infringement claims under commercial liability policies, as well as matters under claims-made policies including such issues as what constitutes a claim, related and multiple claims and the prior knowledge exclusion.
Ron has over 100 reported decisions involving general liability, professional liability, excess and umbrella and property insurance, as well as bad faith matters. He has argued cases before the Florida Supreme Court, First and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeals and Florida Court of Appeals. He has served as an expert witness on many occasions as well as lead counsel for insurance clients in several MDL actions.
Ron Kammer is the Co-National Practice Leader of Hinshaw's Insurance Services Practice Group. He is also the former Co-Partner-in-Charge of the firm's Miami office and a past Business Development Partner and Regional Director for the firm.
- American College of Coverage Counsel (ACCC), Fellow
- American Bar Association
- Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Past National Co-Chair
- Advertising and Personal Injury Committee
- Bad Faith
- Construction, 2015
- Annual Meeting, Co-Chair, 2005
- Trial Evidence Committee, Past National Co-Chair
- Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Past National Co-Chair
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability for over 25 years
- "The Best Lawyers in America®" for Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law and Legal Malpratice Law - Defendants, 2006 – 2019
- Recognized on the list of Super Lawyers by Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2008 – 2019
- International Who's Who of Business lawyers Insurance and Reinsurance since 2011
- Named to South Florida Business Journal's Power Leaders in Law list, 2014 – 2017
- Named in Florida's Best Lawyers-Insurance Law, 2012–13
- Chosen as one of the Florida Legal Elite™ for 2011 in the area of Insurance, by Florida Trend magazine, July 2011
Ron Kammer frequently lectures on coverage issues before professional audiences, addressing such topics as:
- Chair of the 2010 HarrisMartin Chinese Drywall Litigation Conference
- "When the Barn is Blazing: Recent Developments in Law on Montrose Endorsements, 'Prior Knowledge' Exclusions and Limitations, and the True Meaning of Fortuity"
- "Insurance Coverage Issues and Trends"
- "One Occurrence Becomes Two: Addison Insurance Co. v. Fay"
- "Has the Paradigm Shifted? The Role of Judicial and Legislative Activism in the Resolution of Insurance Coverage Disputes"
- "Are Two Polices Better Than One" ACCEC Annual Meeting 2018
- "Insurance Coverage for Construction Defects Claims in Florida" The Seminar Group 2017
- "Critical Coverage Issues for Construction Defect Suits" National Construction Conference 2017
- "The Impact of Climate Change and Insurance" Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP Climate Change Conference 2017-2018
- "Critical Insurance Considerations"
- "Bankruptcy v. Limited Insurance Proceeds"
- "Insurance for Defective Construction in Florida" at the West Coast Casualty Conference in 2013 – 2015
- "Top East Region Appellate Decisions at the 3rd, 4th and 5th Annual MCC Consultants East Coast Construction Defect and Insurance Coverage Conference"
- "First Party Bad Faith"
- "Interpreting Lawyers' Professional Liability Policies – Recent Decisions and Recurring Issues"
- "The Future of Litigation Management Guidelines: Options Beyond the Billable Hours"
- "The Enhanced Risk of Inconsistency in Coverage Litigation"
- "Tactical, Strategic and Ethical Issues Concerning The Prosecution of a Coverage Action During the Pendency of the Underlying Action"
- "Mediation and Construction Defect Coverage Issues"
- "Questions that Arise in Professional Liability Insurance Policies – the Who, What, How Many and How Much"
- "Insurance Issues that Impact Lawyers"
- "Emerging Bad Faith Issues"
- "Insurance Coverage and Declaratory Judgment Actions"
- "Insurance Coverage for Construction Defect Claims"
- "Insurance Coverage for Design Professionals"
- "Insurance Law: Third Party Coverage in Florida"
- "Settlement Considerations in Building Defect Cases"
- "The Role of Coverage Counsel in the Mediation of Construction Defect Cases"
- "Ethics Update for Florida Lawyers"
- "Issues Confronting Women in Law firms"
- "What Everyone Wants to Know About Mediations" at the 2014 Annual Meeting for the Miami-Dade County Bench & Bar
Ron Kammer has written a number of professional journal articles relating to insurance coverage issues. Among them are:
- "How Driverless Cars Will Impact the Insurance Industry," Daily Business Review, May 19, 2017
- "Fifty-State Survey: Daubert v. Frye—Admissibility of Expert Testimony," American Bar Association, January 2017
"Mediation from A to Z, and Where Trust is the Key" Daily Business Review, September 8, 2014
- "Did the Court in Curran Tip the Scales in Favor of Policyholders or Just Insure that Consumers Obtain the Protection they Paid For" Daily Business Review, March 2014
- "Economic loss doctrine returned to its roots," Insurance Day, April 4, 2013
- "High Court asked if Ambiguity Resolved with Extrinsic Evidence," co-author, Daily Business Review, June 5, 2012
- "Something is Rotten in Denmark (and Florida) – Is there Insurance Coverage for the Chinese Drywall Problem?" co-author, HarrisMartin Chinese Drywall Litigation Conference, June 2009
- "Can Excess Insurers Assert a Late Notice Defense?" Coverage, May/June 2003
- "Is it Bad Faith to Settle on Behalf of One, But Not All of Your Insureds?" Coverage, January/February 2002
- "Professional Liability, To Report or Not to Report," Florida Lawyer, September 2001
- "Professional Liability, Covered or Bare?" Florida Lawyer, September 2000
- "Avoiding Bad Faith in Multiple Insured/Multiple Claims Situations," Coverage, November/December 1998
- "Can an Insurance Company Commit Bad Faith When Prosecuting Its Complaint for Declaratory Relief?" Coverage, September/October 1997
- "Lead Poisoning: The Asbestos of the 1990s Claims, Liability & Coverage," IDC Quarterly, First Quarter 1995
- May 2, 2019Six Attorneys, One Paralegal, and Two Law Clerks Led By Rory Eric Jurman Join Hinshaw
- April 29, 2019
- March 18, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- July 31, 2018
- Hinshaw and Florida International University Successfully Conclude Second Annual Climate Change and Sea Level Rise ConferenceApril 24, 2018
- Second Annual Hinshaw/FIU Climate Change Conference to Focus on Economic Impacts to Insurance, Lending and Real Estate IndustriesMarch 27, 2018Full Day Conference to be Held April 11, 2018 at Four Seasons Hotel Miami
- Four Hinshaw Lawyers—Ronald Kammer, Kent Keller, Michael Marick and Scott Seaman—Listed Among the World's Foremost Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers in 2018 International Who's WhoJanuary 3, 2018
J.D., University of Miami School of Law, 1980
- Member, Moot Court Board
- Order of Barristers
B.A., cum laude, Macalester College, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle, Northern, and Southern Districts of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois