Bob Hogeboom is the Senior Insurance Regulatory lawyer for the firm. His practice commenced in 1976 and includes insurance regulatory, insurance corporate, and legislation/adoption of regulations and administrative matters before the California Department of Insurance (CDI). Bob represents numerous insurers and producer clients in regulatory and administrative matters including market conduct, claims, rating, and administrative hearing matters. He has handled more than 50 hearings involving CDI enforcement actions against insurers and producers including rate hearings, market conduct actions and disciplinary proceedings. In addition, Bob serves as outside special counsel to several producer trade associations and serves as the firm's liaison to the Association of California Insurance Companies and special counsel to the Pacific Association of Domestic Insurance Companies. Bob is currently involved in Department of Insurance issues, including the California wildfires and moratorium effecting homeowners insurers, Affinity Group Hearings on Discrimination and the California Consumer Privacy Act.
Bob became a partner at Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2014 as a result of the merger of Hinshaw and the Los Angeles-based firm of Barger & Wolen LLP.
- The State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Conference of Insurance Counsel
- Federation of Regulatory Counsel, Founding Member; President, 2000 – 2001
- California Department of Insurance
- Agent and Broker Advisory Committee, 2007 – 2009
- Task Force, Prior Approval Rating Watchdog, 1997
- Task Force, Agents and Brokers Advisory Committee, 2008 – 2011
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Insurance Law, 2018 – 2021
- WIAA Attorney of the Decade, 2000 – 2010
- Certificate of Recognition, California Assembly Strickland Insurance Agents Advisory Committee, 2007
Bob's regulatory litigation includes Administrative Hearings, Writs of Mandate, Appeals and Amicus matters involving the California Supreme Court.
Bob has participated in numerous insurance seminars on various insurance regulatory topics and has been a featured speaker at insurance and education events, including the American Property Casualty Insurance Association, formerly Association of California Insurance Companies, the Alliance of Insurance Agents and Brokers, the National Federation of Regulatory Counsel and the Conference of Insurance Counsel. He is also an approved lecturer on insurance matters for continuing education programs.
A selection of his presentations includes:
- "PacifiCare One Year Later: The Controversy Moves to the Courts," at the Twenty-Sixth Annual Association of California Insurance Companies (ACIC) General Counsel Seminar July 22, 2015.
- "Preparation of Prior Approval Rate Applications and Conduction Rate Hearings," 2014
- "California Department of Insurance Hazardous Financial Conditions: Corrective Actions Regulations," ACLHIC 36th Annual Roundtable, September 2013
- "Current Trends on Financial Insurance Regulation," Casualty Actuarial Society, 2013
- "Insurance Agents Coping With Recession," WIAA Research & Education Foundation and Market Scout and Insurance Journal Roundtable, 2012
- "Super Group Internet Marketing," Association of California Insurance Companies (ACIC), 23rd Annual General Counsel Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada, July 2012
- "SB 631 Restitution," ACIC, 22nd Annual General Counsel Seminar, Las Vegas, Nevada, July 2011
- "California Insurance Law Update on Regulatory Issues and Emerging Issues Under New Administration,” 2011
- "Recent Trends in California Market Conduct Examinations," Barger & Wolen LLP seminar, Los Angeles, California, December 2010
- "AB 2956 Workshop for Insurers and Brokers on California Broker Fees," Berger & Wolen LLP workshop, Los Angeles, California, New York, New York and Washington, D.C., September 2008
- "Distinction Between Agent and Broker," 2008
- "Regulations and Market Conduct Exams," Insurance Roundtable featuring John Garamendi, 2002
Bob has published numerous articles on insurance law matters, including chapters in the LexisNexis/Matthew Bender publication "California Insurance Law & Practice." He has also been quoted in many publications, including Life Health Pro and Property Casualty 360. Bob has authored articles involving market conduct settlements, consumer complaint regulations, broker fees and the federal Liability Risk Retention Act.
A selection of Bob's publications includes:
- Co-Author, "COVID-19 and California Wildfires Issues," FORC Quarterly Journal of Insurance Law and Regulation, Fall 2020
- Co-Author, "CDI Investigatory Hearing to Create a Record on Affinity Group Discounts in Connection with Private Passenger Automobile Insurance," FORC Quarterly Journal of Insurance Law and Regulation, Fall 2019
- "Torchmark Rulings Provide Framework for Successful Defense of California Insurance Trade Practices Actions," Claims Journal, September 2016
- "Surplus Line Brokers," Chapter 62 (Revised), "California Insurance Law and Practice," LexisNexis Matthew Bender, April 2012
- "Operating Requirements of Agents and Brokers," Chapter 61 (Revised), "California Insurance Law and Practice," LexisNexis Matthew Bender, May 2011
- "Disciplinary Actions Against Agents and Brokers," Chapter 63 (Revised), "California Insurance Law and Practice," LexisNexis Matthew Bender, December 2010
- "California Statutory Changes to Protect Broker Fee Charges on Insurance Policies" FORC Quarterly Journal of Insurance Law and Regulation, Vol. 20, Ed. IV, 2009
- "Distinction Between Insurance Agent and Broker in California," FORC Quarterly Journal of Insurance Law and Regulation, Vol. 17, Ed. II, 2006
- "The New Standard for Review of Rate Application in California," FORC Quarterly Journal of Insurance Law and Regulation, Vol. 16, Ed. I, 2005
- "Quackenbush Scandal Raises Legal Questions," FORC Quarterly Journal of Insurance Law and Regulation, Vol. XI, Ed. III, 2000
- "Market Conduct Settlement in California Beware of Pitfalls," FORC Quarterly Journal of Insurance Law and Regulation, Vol. IX, Ed. II, 1997
- "Key Points to Gillespie's 103 Decision," FORC Quarterly Journal of Insurance Law and Regulation, Vol. I, Ed. V
- Hinshaw Lawyers Author Article on COVID-19 Insurance Issues and Recent California Insurance Litigation and RegulationsDecember 4, 2020
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- August 15, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- Hogeboom Discusses ACIC v. Jones, a Groundbreaking California Supreme Court Decision Regarding Insurance Commissioner's Authority Under the Unfair Insurances Practices Act (UIPA)August 23, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- Bob Hogeboom Authors Article on Torchmark Ruling that Addresses Various Insurance Regulatory Procedural Issues in CaliforniaSeptember 26, 2016
- January 20, 2016