Renee Mortimer is the Partner-in-Charge of the Indiana office of Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP. She has a broad litigation practice with particular emphasis in managing large risks and exposures, as well as litigating large and excess risks. Renee's clients in this area have included large corporations and financial institutions. She also assists those in the insurance industry with a variety of matters, including those involving first party and subrogation claims.
She appears regularly in state and federal courts in both Indiana and Illinois, and has tried multiple cases to verdict in both states.
Renee joined Hinshaw in March 1995 as an associate in the firm's Chicago office. In 1998, she transferred to the Schererville, Indiana office to head its litigation practice and has been the Partner-in-Charge since 2000. She is currently one of the leaders of the firm's Personal Injury and Property Damage Practice Group. She was also the Business Development Partner of the firm's Defense Litigation Department and has been a regional director for the firm. Renee is a member of the firm's Executive Committee and a past co-leader of the firm's Transportation Practice Group.
Renee is a member of the Board of Directors of the Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana. She is a past Vice President and the current President-Elect.
Since 2015, Renee has been selected for inclusion in "The Best Lawyers in America®" in the areas of Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Defendants, Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants, and Product Liability Litigation.
In October 2012, Renee received the Indiana State Bar Association's Defense Lawyer Civility Award for 2012. She was selected for the honor by the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, which recognizes one Indiana defense attorney each year for outstanding civility and professionalism in dealings with fellow judges, attorneys, parties, witnesses and the public.
In October 2011, Renee was invited to become a member of the International Association of Defense Counsel.
In June 2011, she received an Influential Women of Northwest Indiana Award. One of only 11 women selected in 2011, Renee was honored in the law category for her influence in the legal industry.
In 2009, Renee was elected a Fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America (LCA), a trial lawyer honorary society. Fellows are invited based upon effectiveness and accomplishment in litigation and superior ethical reputation. Membership in the LCA is limited and represents less than one-half of one percent of all American lawyers.
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Former Vice President
- Board of Directors
- National Association of Women Lawyers, Member
- Lake County Bar Association, Former Member of the Board of Managers
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois, Former Director and Officer
- Illinois Bar Association, Former Member of the General Assembly
- Council on Litigation Management
- Vice President, Indiana Chapter
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Indiana State Representative
- International Association of the Defense Trial Counsel
Honors & Awards
Selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Defendants, 2016–2019; Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants, 2016–2019; Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, 2018–2019; Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, 2016–2019
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the "Lawyer of the Year" for Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants in the Chicago area, 2018
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2008-2013, 2016-2018); Indiana Super Lawyers magazine (2015-2018)
- Rated by Martindale-Hubbell for ethics and legal ability. She is included in "Who's Who in America"
Renee regularly lectures at the request of her clients on many topics, including safety issues, pre-suit investigation and how to coordinate national/regional counsel programs.
She frequently presents on various topics for the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum.
Renee has served as an editor of the IDC Quarterly, a respected publication of the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel. She has also chaired and co-chaired seminars for them and other defense bar organizations.
- December 4, 2018
- August 15, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- June 14, 2016
- April 11, 2016
- August 17, 2015
- January 26, 2015
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1991
B.A., English, Indiana University, 1988
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana