Raylene Grischow maintains an active trial practice that includes employment litigation, municipal law and the defense general liability claims. With values based on safeguarding clients’ interests and building lasting relationships, Ms. Grischow combines commitment, vision and inspiration to help her clients meet and exceed their goals.
Ms. Grischow's private sector experience includes representation of employers, physicians, health care providers, and homeowners' associations. She offers her clients comprehensive advice and litigation services for claims involving contractual matters, business torts, labor and employment disputes, FMLA and ADA issues. Ms. Grischow has a substantial amount of experience with jury trials and representing clients in mediations and arbitration hearings. She handles all aspects of workplace injury cases, including workers' compensation defense.
For her public sector clients, Ms. Grischow provides advice and litigates on behalf of the State of Illinois, local municipalities, counties, universities and schools involving contractual and personnel issues, collective bargaining issues, civil rights disputes and FOIA and Open Meetings Act issues. Ms. Grischow also advises and represents municipalities in their day-to-day operations, which includes drafting and negotiating municipal contracts, ensuring compliance with state and federal law, and providing legal opinions during city council meetings. She has arbitrated many issues that have arisen out of disputes with collective bargaining agreements. She is the attorney for the City of Auburn, Illinois.
Ms. Grischow has practiced before many state and federal administrative tribunals, boards and commissions, including the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Illinois Commerce Commission, the Illinois Department of Human Rights, and the Illinois Department of Labor and state licensing authorities.
Ms. Grischow joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in January 2001. She serves as the Business Development Leader for the firm's Government Practice Group and is the Editor and a contributor to its regular Informing Illinois newsletter. She also serves as a Network Coordinator for the firm's Women Attorneys Network.
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Illinois Supreme Court, Professional Responsibility Committee, Member and Vice-Chair
- Lincoln-Douglas American Inn of Court, Member
- Central Illinois Women's Bar Association, Member and Two-Term Past President
- Sangamon County Bar Association, Member and Past President
Honors & Awards
- Member of the Leading Lawyers Network, where she was selected by her peers as a Leading Lawyer in the areas of Personal Injury Defense Law: General, and Workers’ Compensation Defense Law
- Holds the BV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell for ethics and legal ability
- Included on the Rising Stars list in the area of Business Litigation, by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2011. The Rising Stars list recognizes attorneys who are 40 or younger, or who have been practicing 10 years or less
Ms. Grischow's presentations include:
- "“Discrimination & Harassment Training,” Presentation to Sangamon County Supervisory Staff, Springfield, Illinois, March 2017.
"Performance Evaluation Reform Act Overview for School Board Members," Illinois Association of School Boards' Professional Development Leadership Training for School Board Members Program, Normal, Illinois, May 2015.
- "Motion Commotion — Knowing Which Motion to Use and When," presented to the Office of the Illinois Attorney General, Springfield, Illinois, April 2014.
- "FOIA and the Illinois Open Meetings Act," co-presenter with Charles Schmadeke, Municipal Clerks of Illinois and Academy, Springfield, Illinois, September 2013.
"Vanishing Jury Trial," co-presenter with the Honorable Ronald D. Spears, Circuit Judge for the Fourth Judicial Circuit, Lincoln-Douglas Inn of Court, Springfield, Illinois, February 2013.
- "Family Medical Leave Act," at a Hinshaw Breakfast Seminar in Springfield, Illinois, February 2012.
Co-authored an IICLE chapter in 2010 titled “Beginning the Postmortem Estate Planning Process,” in Postmortem Estate Planning.
- Hinshaw's Raylene DeWitte Grischow Reappointed to Illinois Supreme Court Committee on ProfessionalismDecember 12, 2017
- Raylene DeWitte Grischow Discusses Attorney Professional Responsibility With the Springfield Business JournalFebruary 2, 2017
- Raylene DeWitte Grischow Appointed Vice-Chairperson of the Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Professional ResponsibilityJanuary 3, 2017
- Hinshaw Obtains Appellate Victory for Sangamon County Deputy Sheriff in Section 1983 Excessive Force LawsuitAugust 29, 2016
- September 22, 2015
- Raylene DeWitte Grischow Secures Favorable Ruling for Illinois School District in Racial Discrimination CaseMarch 24, 2015
- March 23, 2015
- Raylene DeWitte Grischow Re-Appointed to Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Professional ResponsibilityJanuary 5, 2015
- April 17, 2018
- March 13, 2018
- February 6, 2018
- December 11, 2017
- November 7, 2017
- April 24, 2017
- January 10, 2017
- August 29, 2016
- February 23, 2016
- April 15, 2015
- January 22, 2015
- November 21, 2014
- November 5, 2014
Raylene is a die-hard college football fan, yet manages to keep the peace at home despite her allegiance to the Hawkeyes and her husband's devotion to the Buckeyes. An aspiring photographer, she enjoys spending time with and capturing her young daughter — an avid gymnast — on camera.
J.D., Washington University, 1998
B.S., Illinois State University, 1994
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois