Nabil Foster focuses his practice on the defense of consumer class action lawsuits and the defense of attorneys in professional liability and disciplinary matters. Mr. Foster's class action defense experience involves claims under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and related claims under Illinois and New York law. Mr. Foster also provides guidance to attorneys through risk management and ethical consultations. He enjoys speaking about the practical application of the Rules of Professional Conduct at continuing legal education (CLE) events.
Mr. Foster handles all phases of litigation and case management, including briefing and arguing motions, taking and defending depositions, responding to discovery, counseling clients and conducting settlement negotiations.
He has substantial experience in commercial and civil litigation, and has represented clients in both state and federal courts on matters including breach of contract, ERISA, employment discrimination, consumer fraud class actions, products liability matters, insurance coverage, professional liability, eminent domain, Section 1983 civil rights cases and multidistrict litigation (MDL) cases.
Mr. Foster joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in December 2007. For three years prior to joining Hinshaw, he was an associate at Pugh, Jones, Johnson & Quandt, P.C. Prior to his tenure at Pugh Jones, he was an associate at Christensen & Ehret for several years where he focused on insurance coverage litigation. He began his legal career as appellate law clerk with the Illinois Court of Appeals for the First District.
Throughout law school, Mr. Foster served a series of clerkships. In 1998, he clerked for the Public Corruption and Special Prosecution Unit of the United States Attorney’s Office, District of Massachusetts in Boston. Also in 1998, he clerked for the United States Attorney’s Office, Northern District of Illinois in Chicago. In 1999, he clerked in the Enforcement Division of the Securities and Exchange Commission Regional Office in Chicago; and in 2000, Mr. Foster clerked as an extern to the Honorable Robert W. Gettleman, United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois. Finally, from 2000 to 2001, he was a law clerk at the white collar criminal defense firm of Cotsirilos, Tighe & Streicker, Ltd.
Mr. Foster’s law school achievements included serving as the Business Editor of the Journal of International Law and Business. In addition, he was Vice President of the Black Law Student Association.
Prior to his legal career, Mr. Foster designed and consulted on logistical operations and procedures for transportation companies. In addition, he trained to be a chef in Europe.
- Northwestern University School of Law
- Trial Advocacy Program - Adjunct Faculty Member
- Legal Ethics - Adjunct Faculty Member
- Northwestern University's Alumni Club of Chicago, Past-President
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- ACA International, Ethics Committee, Member
- Minority Legal Education Resources, Inc., Former Board Member
Mr. Foster's published decisions include:
LVNV Funding LLC v. Trice, 2015 IL 166129
- Harris v. Vitale, 2014 IL App (1st) 123514
- "Keeping up with Cannabis: Medical Marijuana in Illinois," Women's Bar Association of Illinois, Health Law Committee CLE program, Chicago, Illinois, January 2016
"Collection of Ethics," Illinois Creditors Bar Association, Fall Seminar, November 2015
"Legal issues implicated by using social media - brand infringement, labor and employment issues, and ethical issues for lawyers," Panel member at Verizon's Engage Excellence program, Chicago, September 2015
"Illinois Rules of Professional Conduct and the Illinois medical marijuana law (Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act - 410 ILCS 130/1)," Hinshaw University, March 2015
"Legal Ethics of Medical Marijuana," National Business Institute, February 2015
"The Suesz Crisis: A Panel Discussion of Suesz v. Med-1 Solutions, LLC, 734 F.3d 684 (7th Cir 2014)," Panel member at Spring 2015 Seminar of the Illinois Creditors Bar Association
- "Conflicts of Interest," National Business Institute, June 2014
- "Client Trust Accounts and Attorney Fees," National Business Institute, June 2014
- "Virtual Law Office and Interstate Practice of Law," National Business Institute, June 2014
- "Social Media ethical danger," ALPFA (Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting) Chicago chapter, June 2014
- "The Code of Ethics," Mandatory Training for Exempt Employees of The Clerk of The Circuit Court of Cook County, January 2013
- "Communications with Law Firm General Counsel—Latest Developments Regarding In-Firm Privilege," Hinshaw University, January 2013
- March 31, 2012
- August 30, 2016
- May 19, 2016
- August 24, 2015
- October 22, 2014
- February 21, 2014
- March 5, 2013
- January 9, 2013
- April 5, 2012
- August 3, 2011
- February 9, 2011
- November 3, 2010
International election observer in Bogota, Colombia for the plebiscite on October 2, 2016. This Misión de Observación Electoral was organized by La Registraduría Nacional del Estado Civil and El Consejo Nacional Electoral for the plebiscite about the "Final Agreement for the Termination of the Conflict and Construction of a Stable and Lasting Peace" in Colombia (Acuerdo Final para la Terminación del Conflicto y la Construcción de una Paz Estable y Duradera en Colombia).
Board of Directors for GlobeMed (see GlobeMed.org). GlobeMed is a U.S. NGO that assists students from dozens of universities to partner with organizations in other countries for the purpose of reducing or eliminating health disparities around the globe.
Pro bono service attorney for annual adult / juvenile criminal record expungement summit presented by the Office of Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County
- Minority Legal Education Resources Inc., Former Member of the Board of Directors and an Instructor
- Harvard Club of Chicago, Volunteered as an Alumni College Admissions Interviewer
- Northwestern University Legal Clinic, Represented an African Political Asylee from the Democratic Republic of Congo (Brazzaville), Volunteer
- Provides pro bono consulting services to economic development projects for Afro-Colombian populations in Chocó, Colombia, and the Pacific Coastal region of Colombia, South America
- Serves on the advisory board for the National Homecomers Academy, a model reentry program for formerly incarcerated individuals, i.e., a "Homecomer"
J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 2000
A.B., Philosophy, Harvard College, 1994
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin