As an insurance services attorney, Mollie Kugler represents and counsels insurance companies in litigation and disputes. Her clients benefit from her extensive coverage claims experience and her comprehensive knowledge of the litigation process, from formulating strategy plans and handling discovery, to drafting and arguing motions, and settlement or—if necessary—trial.
A portion of Mollie's practice is dedicated to personal injury and property damage defense litigation, as well as commercial and business litigation. In addition, she works with self-insured clients and medical professionals and practitioners in professional liability matters, and has also advised clients facing legal malpractice.
Mollie is one of the three co-chairs of Hinshaw's Women's Affinity Network and a member of the firm's Joint Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee. She also coordinates the Milwaukee Office summer and law clerk program.
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Defense Counsel
- Insurance Law Committee
- Insurance Coverage
- Represented insurers in coverage dispute in Choinsky v. Employers Ins. Co at circuit court jury trial, Wisconsin Court of Appeals, and Wisconsin Supreme Court levels. Court of Appeals found insurers did not breach duty to defend insured and were not obligated to pay insured's coverage attorney fees, and Supreme Court agreed.
- Health Care Defense
- Defended nurse practitioner in Lockett v. Bonson at Eastern District of Wisconsin and on appeal before the Seventh Circuit. Handled appellate briefing and oral argument leading to affirmation of district court decision that provider was not deliberately indifferent to plaintiff's serious medical need.
- Co-Presenter, "Exploring Coverage Issues in Construction Defect Cases," We've Got You Covered: Insurance Coverage in Wisconsin 2020, State Bar of Wisconsin Seminar, Madison, Wisconsin, October 23, 2020
- "General Counsel's Office: Legal Oversight of Business Operations," National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Midwest Zone, Continuing Legal Education, Chicago, Illinois, June 2018
- "Navigating the Duty to Defend and the Initial Grant of Coverage," We've Got You Covered: Insurance Coverage in Wisconsin, State Bar of Wisconsin Seminar, Madison, Wisconsin, May 2018
- Contributor, "Allocation of Losses in Complex Insurance Coverage Claims," 8th ed. Thomson Reuters, 2020
- Co-Author, "Protect Your Firm from Collateral Damage: Understanding Your Ethical Duties in the Event of a Data Breach," DRI's For the Defense magazine, October 2019
- "When Do Timing Issues and Payment Discrepancies Constitute Breach of the Duty to Defend?," Wisconsin Defense Counsel, Summer 2019
- Co-Author, "Defense Cost Issues Under D & O Policies," Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS) Journal, Q1 2019
- Co-Author, "Defense Cost Issues Under D & O Policies," Wisconsin Defense Counsel, Spring 2018
- Contributor, "Allocation of Losses in Complex Insurance Coverage Claims," 6th ed. Thomson Reuters, 2017
- "Recent Wisconsin 'Occurrence' Decisions Need Clarification," Wisconsin Defense Counsel, Winter 2016
- Co-Author, "Illinois" Chapter, Lobbying, PACs and Campaign Finance: 50 State Handbook, Thomson Reuters, 2014
- Hinshaw Client Success: Wisconsin High Court Affirms Duty to Defend Victory by Insurer Liberty MutualMarch 25, 2020
- November 8, 2019
- Analyzing State Case Law Interpretations of the Defense Cost Reimbursement Obligation in D&O PoliciesJanuary 15, 2019
- July 1, 2018
- Wisconsin and Minnesota Businesses Seek Coverage for COVID-19 Business Interruption Losses in State and Federal Class ActionsApril 22, 2020Insights for Insurers
Mollie enjoys traveling, running, playing tennis, watching Georgetown basketball (some years), and spending time with family and friends. She also enjoys volunteering for various organizations in the Milwaukee area, both through and outside the Junior League of Milwaukee.
- Georgetown Club of Wisconsin, Treasurer
- Georgetown University Alumni Admissions Program, Milwaukee-area, Chair and Alumni Interviewer
- Junior League of Milwaukee, Director of Revenue, 2020 – 2022
J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 2011
B.A., cum laude, Georgetown University, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central and Northern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin