As an insurance services attorney, Mollie Kugler represents and counsels insurance companies in litigation and disputes. Her clients benefit from her extensive coverage claims experience and her comprehensive knowledge of the litigation process, from formulating strategy plans and handling discovery, to drafting and arguing motions, and settlement or—if necessary—trial.
A portion of Mollie's practice is dedicated to personal injury and property damage defense litigation, as well as commercial and business litigation. In addition, she works with self-insured clients and medical professionals and practitioners in professional liability matters, and has also advised clients facing legal malpractice.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Mollie was an associate at an insurance litigation and defense firm in the Milwaukee area. She began her legal career at a defense firm in Springfield, Illinois and later relocated to Milwaukee.
While in law school, Mollie served a number of internships and research assistant positions. She was also a member of the Fordham Law Review. During her undergraduate studies, she was a Congressional Intern with the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington, D.C., and also a Presidential Intern in the White House Office of Presidential Correspondence.
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Defense Counsel
- Insurance Law Committee
- Insurance Coverage
- Represented insurers in coverage dispute in Choinsky v. Employers Ins. Co at circuit court jury trial, Wisconsin Court of Appeals, and Wisconsin Supreme Court levels. Court of Appeals found insurers did not breach duty to defend insured and were not obligated to pay insured's coverage attorney fees, and Supreme Court agreed.
- Health Care Defense
- Defended nurse practitioner in Lockett v. Bonson at Eastern District of Wisconsin and on appeal before the Seventh Circuit. Handled appellate briefing and oral argument leading to affirmation of district court decision that provider was not deliberately indifferent to plaintiff's serious medical need.
- "General Counsel's Office: Legal Oversight of Business Operations," National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Midwest Zone, Continuing Legal Education, Chicago, Illinois, June 2018
- "Navigating the Duty to Defend and the Initial Grant of Coverage," We've Got You Covered, Insurance Coverage in Wisconsin, State Bar of Wisconsin Seminar, Madison, Wisconsin, May 2018
- Contributor, "Allocation of Losses in Complex Insurance Coverage Claims," 8th ed. Thomson Reuters, 2020
- Co-Author, "Protect Your Firm from Collateral Damage: Understanding Your Ethical Duties in the Event of a Data Breach," DRI's For the Defense magazine, October 2019
- "When Do Timing Issues and Payment Discrepancies Constitute Breach of the Duty to Defend?," Wisconsin Defense Counsel, Summer 2019
- Co-Author, "Defense Cost Issues Under D & O Policies," Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS) Journal, Q1 2019
- Co-Author, "Defense Cost Issues Under D & O Policies," Wisconsin Defense Counsel, Spring 2018
- Contributor, "Allocation of Losses in Complex Insurance Coverage Claims," 6th ed. Thomson Reuters, 2017
- "Recent Wisconsin 'Occurrence' Decisions Need Clarification," Wisconsin Defense Counsel, Winter 2016
- Co-Author, "Illinois" Chapter, Lobbying, PACs and Campaign Finance: 50 State Handbook, Thomson Reuters, 2014
- Hinshaw Client Success: Wisconsin High Court Affirms Duty to Defend Victory by Insurer Liberty MutualMarch 25, 2020
- November 8, 2019
- Analyzing State Case Law Interpretations of the Defense Cost Reimbursement Obligation in D&O PoliciesJanuary 15, 2019
- July 1, 2018
Mollie enjoys traveling, running, playing tennis, watching Georgetown basketball (some years), and spending time with family and friends. She also enjoys volunteering for various organizations in the Milwaukee area, both through and outside the Junior League of Milwaukee.
- Georgetown Club of Wisconsin
- Georgetown University Alumni Admissions Program
- Milwaukee Area, Chair
- Alumni Interviewer
- Milwaukee Area, Chair
- Junior League of Milwaukee
- Donor Relations Committee, Former Member; Former Chair-Elect; Former Chair
- Membership Engagement Committee, Member
- Nominating Committee, Former Member
J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 2011
B.A., cum laude, Georgetown University, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central and Northern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin