Michael Malone has a diverse practice that encompasses healthcare law, litigation on behalf of health care, lawyers and law firms. Michael represents health care entities, including physicians, clinics, hospitals and other health care providers, in a variety of matters, including staff privilege issues, regulatory matters, licensing matters and the defense of medical negligence. He has been the principal trial attorney in more than 100 trials decided by a jury verdict, and also represents other professionals, including attorneys, in disputes. In addition, Michael has represented numerous other parties in various business disputes, resolved through litigation and by other means.
In addition to his extensive trial work, Michael has served as an arbitrator and a mediator in a wide variety of matters for the Wisconsin Court of Appeals, Milwaukee Bar Association and other entities. He was the sole arbitrator for more than 100 claims made against the Dalkon Shield Bankruptcy Trust by various claimants around the country and the world, and presided over hearings for the Private Adjudication Center of Durham, North Carolina, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Dublin, Ireland.
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Wisconsin Chapter
- President, 2011
- Civil Trial Counsel of Wisconsin, Served on the Board of Directors
- Marquette University Law Alumni Association, Board of Directors
- Wisconsin Bar Association
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
Honors & Awards
- Jon Allen Pace Setter Award, Milwaukee Justice Center, 2021
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants, 2007 – 2021
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Wisconsin Super Lawyers magazine, 2005 – 2020
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® as the Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants "Lawyer of the Year" in Milwaukee, 2012, 2015, and 2019
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Spoken to legal, professional and educational organizations, including the Wisconsin Bar Association, the International Association of Defense Counsel, Wisconsin Academy of Trial Lawyers, National Business Institute and other continuing legal education organizations.
- Addressed and offered seminars for a variety of hospital medical staffs, physician groups and administrators, including the Medical College of Wisconsin
- Lectures annually at the Marquette University Law School.
- Participant in the American Board of Trial Academy, 16th Annual Institute of Trial Practice, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, November 2005.
- “The Role of Resident Physicians in Medical Liability,” Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, October 2004.
- Co-Author, "Defending Against Wrongful Birth and Wrongful Life Claims," Defense Research Institute's monthly magazine
- Michael Malone and Thomas Schrimpf Honored with Jon Allen Pace Setter Award by Milwaukee Justice Center for Pro Bono EffortsJuly 27, 2021
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- December 3, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- August 17, 2015
- Milwaukee Justice Center, Volunteer
- Served as an officer and director for a variety of civic and social organizations in the Milwaukee community
J.D., Marquette University School of Law, 1973
B.A., Marquette University, 1970
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin