For more than 25 years, Leonor Lagomasino has devoted her litigation practice to insurers as well as both large and small businesses in a broad variety of complex matters. Ms. Lagomasino's successful representation of insurers primarily includes defending individual and ERISA claims brought under life, health and disability policies as well as prosecuting rescission and agent-related claims. She is frequently consulted on a pre-litigation basis and aggressively defends her clients through the trial and appellate courts. Ms. Lagomasino has also handled various other types of first- and third-party insurance claims, including claims involving Ponzi scheme-related losses and property and casualty.
In her diverse business litigation practice, Ms. Lagomasino relies on her financial and tax accounting background to represent banks, commercial real estate companies, commercial property owners and others in matters involving breach of fiduciary duty, lender liability, corporate dissolutions, leasehold disputes, breach of contract, appraisals of real property, bid irregularities, collections, and commercial real estate evictions and foreclosures.
Ms. Lagomasino is a frequent speaker at national seminars on life, health and disability topics and has been a contributing author on ERISA compendiums and a reinsurance/arbitration blog. She is also a leader in a preeminent life, health and disability industry organization.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in April 2015, Ms. Lagomasino was for nine years a shareholder in the Miami office of an AmLaw 200 law firm, where she chaired her local office's Women's Initiative Network. Ms. Lagomasino also served as a formal mentor to firm associates and summer associates.
Prior to her legal career, Ms. Lagomasino worked as a financial and tax accountant.
DRI, Life, Health and Disability Committee, Chair (2016–Present); Vice Chair (2014–2016); Program Chair (2014); Membership Chair (2010–2013)
International Claim Association, Law Committee (2006–2014)
American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (2006–Present)
A selection of Ms. Lagomasino's representative matters where she served as lead counsel or on a team includes:
- Representation of an insurer in a suit affirmed on appeal in favor of insurer after three-week trial
- Representation of a life insurer in a $40 million rescission claim
- Representation of a life insurer on a fraudulent foreign death claim
- Representation of insurer in AD&D claim involving loss of vision due to macular degeneration
- Representation of a national insurance brokerage agency in a multimillion negligence action
- Representation of insurers defending fidelity and professional liability claims related to the Scott Rothstein Ponzi scheme.
- Representation of a telecom software support company in a breach of contract claim against an international telecom company
- Representation of a bank in a multimillion dollar lender liability claim
- Representation of an international real estate company against a $300 million claim alleging negligent and fraudulent appraisals
- Representation of an international real estate company in two actions defending the company in actions involving bidding disputes
- Representation of property owners involving a shareholder dispute involving use of farmland
- "Life and Accidental Death Insurance 101," DRI's Life, Health, Disability and ERISA Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, April 3, 2019
- "DI Legal Case Update," Definitive Disability Conference 2, Boston, Massachusetts, October 2015
- "How To Prepare for Your Deposition," Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, Wellesley, Massachusetts, November 2014 and October 2011
- "Mock Mediation," International Claims Association, New Orleans, Louisiana, September 2014
- "Preparing for the Corporate Representative Deposition," DRI, Chicago, Illinois, November 2013
- "Mock Mediation," New England Claims Association, Springfield, Massachusetts, November 2013
- "Hot Topics in Individual Disability Insurance," DRI, Chicago, Illinois, April 2013
- "Hot Topics in ERISA litigation," ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, St. Petersburg, Florida, February 2012
- "How to Take a $300 Million Case and Settle For Cost of Defense," Carlton Fields, P.A., Tampa and Miami, Florida, 2012
- "Key Policy Provisions," DRI, Chicago, Illinois, November 2011
- "Adverse Impact of Claims Investigations," "Disability – Injury v. Sickness" and "Adverse Legal Consequences of Claims Investigations," International Claims Association, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 2011
- "The Practical and legal Aspects of Disability Claim Investigation," and "Mock Trial: Preparing to Testify at Trial," International Claims Association, Austin, Texas, August 5, 2010
- "Agent Misconduct," DRI, New York, New York, April 2009
- "Deposition 101 for the Claims Examiner" and "Winning at Mediation," International Claims Association, Las Vegas, Nevada, September 2009
- "Hot Topics in life, Health and Disability," DRI, New Orleans, Louisiana, October 2008
- "Emerging Trends in Disability Litigation," International Claims Association, Palm Springs, California, September 2008
Ms. Lagomasino regularly contributed to her prior firm's reinsurance and arbitration blog. She is a past contributor to DRI newsletters and co-authored Manuscript Endorsements, published by the American Bar Association (ABA) Fidelity Section in 2014. Ms. Lagomasino contributed to an ERISA compendium at her prior firm and to the ABA's ERISA compendium to be published in 2015.
- October 25, 2018
- January 19, 2017
- Veteran Life, Health and Disability Insurance Litigation Attorneys Mark Greenberg and Leonor Lagomasino Join Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in MiamiApril 29, 2015
- October 2, 2020The LHD/ERISA Advisor
- June 3, 2020
Ms. Lagomasino enjoys oil painting, photography, travel and gardening.
Ms. Lagomasino has represented unaccompanied minors pro bono in immigration and dependency proceedings. Her other community activities include:
- Deering Estate Foundation, Director
- Dade Heritage Trust, Trustee
- United Way Women's Leadership Circle, Member
J.D., University of Florida College of Law, 1988
B.B.A., cum laude, Accounting and Philosophy, Loyola University New Orleans, 1983
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida