Laurie Randolph focuses her practice on both trial and transactional work for professionals such as architects and engineers.
She has extensive experience in handling litigated matters arising from the design and construction process, as well as drafting and negotiating contracts on behalf of design professionals.
Ms. Randolph's practice also includes insurance coverage issues as they relate to construction. She has extensive experience in handling litigation and claim matters as well as with counseling and advising clients on transactional and operational issues.
Ms. Randolph joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 1979. She is a member of the firm's Management Committee and a past co-leader of the firm's Real Estate & Construction Practice Group.
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- California Bar Association
- Illinois Defense Council
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois
- Trial Lawyers Club of Chicago
- Society of Trial Lawyers, Past Director
- Steering Committee of the Construction Forum of the American Bar Association, Previously Served
- Lambda Alpha International, Ely Chapter, The Honorary Society for the Advancement of Land Economics, Member
Honors & Awards
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Litigation – Construction, 2018 – 2021
- Included among 15 women attorneys recognized by Law Bulletin Publishing Company in a special supplement, "Chicago Women in Law: Women Making an Impact," that appeared in Chicago Lawyer magazine, May 2012
- Recognized by her peers as a "Leading Lawyer" in the categories of Construction Law and Professional Malpractice Defense Law: Including Legal/Technical/Financial, 2003 – 2019
- Subject of a profile, "Laurie Randolph: Design Professionals Benefit From Her 'Sugar-on-Steel' Defense," in Real Estate, Construction & Environmental Edition, of Leading Lawyers Network Magazine, January 2009
- Included in Women's Edition of the magazine, where Ms. Randolph was listed in the "Top 100 Women Lawyers" in Illinois and also in the "Top 100 Women Business Lawyers" in Illinois, 2009 and 2016
- Included in Leading Lawyers Network Magazine Real Estate, Construction & Environmental Edition's list of the Top 50 Women Real Estate-Related Lawyers in Illinois, 2010
- Included, Leading Lawyer Magazine Business Edition's list of the Top 200 Leading Women Business Lawyers in Illinois, 2010
- Included, Leading Lawyer Magazine Women's Edition as one of the Top 100 Women Lawyers in Illinois, 2010 – 2016
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2006 – 2012
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
Laurie Randolph regularly presents at continuing education for attorneys as well as design professionals. Her publications and speeches include:
- "Drones, Green Zones and Home-Mobiles: Navigating a New Design Era," CLM Annual Conference, Houston, Texas, March 15, 2018
- Co-Presented with Melissa Roberts USI Insurance Services, LLC, "The Ghosts of Professional Liability Risk Past, Present, and Future," Association of Licensed Architects, Merchandise Mart, Chicago, Illinois, October 31, 2017.
- "The Rules of War: Understanding the Claimant, Your Insurer and the Litigation Process to Strengthen Your Strategies," Illinois Society of Professional Engineers Conference, Naperville, Illinois, July 2017.
- "WIN/WIN Contract Clauses to the Rescue," American Institute of Architects Northeast Chapter, Naperville, Illinois, February 23, 2017.
- "A 2016 Look at Professional Engineering Risks: Cyber, Drone, and Fiduciary Liability," Illinois Society of Professional Engineers Conference, Peoria, Illinois, July 28, 2016.
"Professional Liability - The New Frontier: Liability and Coverage Issues Facing 21st Century Design Professionals," CLM Annual Conference, Orlando, Florida, April 7, 2016.
- "Risk Management and Worst-Case Scenarios on Projects," speaker, American Institute of Architects, Northeast Illinois Chapter SPACES Program, Palatine, Illinois, August 2015.
- "The Worst-Case Scenario: A Risk Management Survival Guide for Architects," speaker, American Institute of Architects, Chicago Chapter, Illinois, June 2015.
- "ADR Clause Drafting: Deconstructing an Arbitration Clause," speaker, National Association of Women Lawyers' Mid-Year Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, March 2015.
- "Defensive Contract Provisions and Project Documentation: Best Practices to Protect Your Firm" panelist, American Council of Engineering Companies, ACEC Illinois, Winter Conference and Engineering Excellence Awards, Naperville, Illinois, February 2015.
- "The Worst-Case Scenario: A Risk Management Survival Guide for Architects," speaker, American Institute of Architects, SPACES Program, Northeast Illinois Chapter, Palatine, Illinois, August 2014.
- "Understanding the Latest ADA Standards for Accessibility—and What They Mean to You," panelist, BUILDINGChicago/Greening the Heartland Conference, Chicago, Illinois, September 2013.
- "Tales from the Mound: Learning to Pitch a Perfect Game (Risk Management Drills and Pep Talks from Illinois Court Cases)," 2013 Illinois Society of Professional Engineers Convention, Lisle, Illinois, July 2013.
- "Managing Exposure through Written Communications," Association of Licensed Architects, February 2013.
- "The ABCs and one D of Risk Management, Law and Insurance for Engineers," Illinois Society of Professional Engineers Conference, Lisle, Illinois, October 2012.
- "Contract Insurance and Risk Management Myths," Illinois Society of Professional Engineers Annual Convention, Naperville, Illinois, July 2011.
- "Annual Design Professional Legal/Risk Management Checkup," Hinshaw and Euclid Insurance Agencies Annual Risk Management Review, Medinah, Illinois, October 2010.
- "The New Age of Project Delivery: Risk Management for Integrated Design," Hinshaw and Euclid Insurance Agencies Annual Risk Management Review, Hanover Park, Illinois, November 2008.
- "The ABC’s of Working with MEPs: Risk Management for an Integrated Design Team," American Institute of Architects (AIA) Professional Development Conference, Chicago, Illinois, September 2008.
- "Risky Business—Potential Risks of Building Information Modeling," AIA Chicago Chapter, Chicago, Illinois, July 2008.
- "New 2007 AIA Contract Forms," Hinshaw event, Chicago, Illinois, December 2007.
- "Starting a Design Firm—What You Need to Know," American Institute of Architects, Chicago Chapter, Chicago, Illinois, October 2007.
- "Sustainable Buildings: The Green Movement," Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP and Euclid Insurance Agencies Annual Risk Management Review, Oak Brook, Illinois, October 26, 2006.
- "Building Information Modeling," Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP and Euclid Insurance Agencies Annual Risk Management Review, Oak Brook, Illinois, October 26, 2006.
- "Analyze This: A Critical Review of Risk Management, Legal and Insurance Issues for Multi-Family Projects, Chicago Chapter, American Institute of Architects, Chicago, Illinois, September 2006.
- "Defensive Writing for Design Professionals: A Risk Management Tool," speech presented at American Institute of Architects, Chicago Chapter, August 17, 2005.
- "More to Worry About: Liability Beyond Tort and Contract," Hinshaw and Euclid Insurance Agencies’ "The Annual Review: A 2004 Design Firm Check-up," Chicago and Oak Brook, Illinois, November 2004.
- "Meet the Experts: Panel Discussion on Current Claim and Risk Management Trends," Hinshaw and Euclid Insurance Agencies’ "The Annual Review: A 2004 Design Firm Check-up," Chicago and Oak Brook, Illinois, November 2004.
- "Statutory Claims Against Design Professionals," speech and paper presented at the American Institute of Architects, Professional Development Conference, 2003.
- "Defensive Contract Drafting: Documentation and Your Liability," speech and paper presented at joint seminar of Hinshaw and Euclid Insurance Agencies to design professional, 2002.
- "Certifications—The Issues & Answers," speech and paper presented to American Institute of Architects, Seminar, 2001.
- "Practical Tips for Improving Construction Administration," speech presented to American Institute of Architects, Northeast Chapter, Seminar, 2001.
- "Practical Tips for Collecting Fees," speech presented at Hinshaw seminar for design professionals, 2001.
- "Insurance Coverage for Construction Projects," paper presented to Chicago Bar Association Insurance Law Committee, 2000.
Ms. Randolph has authored chapters in books on the defense of design professionals as well as presented numerous papers and speeches on various subjects relating to design and construction.
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- August 15, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- August 15, 2017
- October 3, 2014
- May 4, 2012
J.D., with honors, DePaul University College of Law, 1979
B.S., magna cum laude, Northern Illinois University, 1976
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois