Kristen focuses her practice on litigation and arbitration, including professional liability, intellectual property, and commercial litigation. Ms. Niven is also active in professional responsibility and risk management matters, including counseling firms and emerging businesses on the use of internet technology in the delivery of legal services. She participates in all stages of the litigation process, including factual and legal research and analysis, discovery support and strategy, and drafting pleadings and motions. Her experience includes legal malpractice defense, copyright and trademark litigation, trademark prosecution, insurance and reinsurance arbitration, and advising on legal ethics, licensing, and risk management matters.
Ms. Niven joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP as an associate in June 2015. Previously, she was a law clerk and a summer associate with the firm. During law school, Ms. Niven was a summer associate at another New York law firm, focusing on litigation and advertising law, and interned at a third law firm specializing in art law, copyright, and trademark litigation. She also served as a legal intern with the Legal Aid Society as a part of the New York State Courts Pro Bono Scholars Program in its inaugural year, where she assisted as a bilingual advocate for tenants in Bronx Civil Court.
Ms. Niven graduated from law school with high honors and a concentration in Intellectual Property. In addition to her other law school accomplishments, Ms. Niven was competitively selected for the New York City Bar Association Diversity Fellowship in her first year. She was also an editorial board member on the Cardozo Arts and Entertainment Law Journal, and an executive board member on the Cardozo Art Law Society.
New York City Bar Association, Member
New York State Bar Association, Member
Honors & Awards
- New York City Bar Association Diversity Fellow, 2013
- First Place, New York Intellectual Property Law Association Honorable William C. Conner Writing Competition, 2014
- First Place Oralist, Monrad G. Paulsen Intramural Moot Court Competition, Cardozo School of Law, 2014
- Towards a New Model for Social Media Newsgathering: Agence France Presse v. Morel and Digital Rights in the Age of Citizen Journalism, New York Intellectual Property Law Association Bulletin, August/September 2014.
Kristen was born and raised in Minneapolis, Minnesota. She trained as a ballet dancer from childhood through college. She continues to be an avid supporter of the arts and art education. She still practices ballet and enjoys trying new styles of dance and yoga.
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Clinic, Make the Road New York, Volunteer
- Courtroom Advocates Project, Volunteer
J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 2015
- Cardozo Arts and Entertainment Law Journal, Vol. 33, Acquisitions Editor; Vol 32, Staff Editor
B.A., Art History, University of Chicago, 2009
- New York