Kimberly Jansen focuses her practice in appellate law. As a member of the firm's appellate practice group, Ms. Jansen brings a multidisciplinary insight to her handling of appeals and critical trial motions. She draws from diverse experience in fields ranging from admiralty law to professional liability to the Alien Tort Claims Act.
When briefing a complex summary judgment motion or consulting with a trial team regarding strategy, Ms. Jansen’s appellate background provides a critical eye toward the record being developed and issues likely to evolve on review.
She has persuaded trial judges to dismiss, for lack of jurisdiction, multimillion dollar claims brought in U.S. courts against international clients. Ms. Jansen has also convinced trial courts to reconsider and vacate significant discovery and summary judgment rulings entered against the firm’s clients.
Ms. Jansen’s close work with the firm’s trial attorneys provides nuanced understanding of the record when cases reach the appellate level. This integrated approach to trial and appellate advocacy fosters the efficiency and efficacy clients rightfully expect.
Prior to joining Hinshaw in March 2004, Ms. Jansen was an Assistant Defender in the Office of the State Appellate Defender for the First District, where she handled a wide variety of criminal appeals. She also served as a judicial clerk for Justice Thomas Homer of the Illinois Appellate Court, Third District, which serves North Central Illinois and a judicial clerk for Justice Judith Cohen of the Illinois Appellate Court, First District, which serves all of Cook County.
Since 2005, Ms. Jansen has mentored new attorneys representing indigent clients pro bono in direct criminal appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. She believes strongly in the importance of this work in promoting equal access to justice while helping newly admitted attorneys develop the skills and confidence to successfully represent clients. Under her guidance, new lawyers have won relief for indigent clients and shaped the law in a number of published decisions.
Ms. Jansen plays an active role in Hinshaw’s continuing education efforts. Through Hinshaw University, the firm’s nationwide attorney training and education program, she teaches Legal Writing to all of the firm’s newly admitted attorneys. Ms. Jansen has developed and presented a highly-interactive legal writing program offered to all of the firm’s practice and specialty groups. Ms. Jansen has served on the firm's Attorney Life Committee and on the "Hinshaw University" Continuing Legal Education Committee.
- Appellate Lawyers Association
- Board of Directors (2015-2017)
- Publicity Committee, co-chair (2015)
- Moot Court Committee (2009-2010)
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine. (2008-2013)
- Fulbright Commission Fellowship, Couven Gymnasium (Germany), 1994-1995
- "Criminal Appellate Jurisdiction: Manrique v. United States," 44 ABA Preview of United States Supreme Court Cases 28 (October 3, 2016).
- "Federal Diversity Jurisdiction: Americold Logistics, LLC v. Conagra Foods, Inc.," 43 ABA Preview of United States Supreme Court Cases 152 (January 11, 2016).
- "Federal Jurisdiction/Securities Law: Merrill Lynch v. Manning," 43 ABA Preview of United States Supreme Court Cases 107 (November 30, 2015).
- "Federal Courts: Shapiro v. McManus," 43 ABA Preview of United States Supreme Court Cases 47 (November 2, 2015).
- "Criminal Forfeiture: Luis v. United States," 43 ABA Preview of United States Supreme Court Cases 71 (November 2, 2015).
- "Federal Jurisdiction: Direct Marketing Association v. Brohl," 42 ABA Preview of United States Supreme Court Cases 102 (December 1, 2014).
- May 4, 2018
- April 15, 2016
- October 21, 2013
- January 1, 2012
- July 2, 2012
When she's not busy lawyering, Kim can be found tinkering in her garden, running long-distance, or just groaning appreciatively at the efforts of her pun-loving family.
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Illinois College of Law, 1999
M.Ed., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1999
B.A., magna cum laude, English Writing and German Language and Literature, Knox College, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois