Kevin Joseph Burke is a litigation partner at Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, where he served as the firm's Chairman, and head of the Management Committee and Executive Committee from 2015 – 2019. Kevin's work as Chairman was directed at modernizing the firm's technology platform to best in class, adding a C-Level tier of highly regarded administrative and operations professionals, adoption of new law management and service delivery approaches to meet client and market standards, redefining the firm's offices to drive efficiency, deliver value, enhance the workplace experience, and boost performance to adapt to changing workforce expectations. He also prioritized the diversity and inclusion mandate with undying commitment to all perspectives, identities, groups, cultures, communities, and individuals.
Since stepping down as Chairman, he has pursued his interests leading the firm's strategic global relationships and innovation. He has worked with RPC (Reynolds Porter Chamberlain), an elite UK law firm with offices in Hong Kong and Singapore, to enter into a strategic alliance in the Insurance Sector. He has expanded the focus to providing a global reach for clients with relationships with highest level law firms in five countries internationally.
Kevin's trial practice concentrates in the areas of civil litigation, professional liability, and medical sector lawsuits. He also represents clients in the rapidly evolving area of cybersecurity and privacy after receiving his certification in this specialization.
Kevin has spent his entire professional career as a courtroom trial attorney and litigator, having tried over fifty jury trial cases. He has obtained successful "not guilty" results in obstetrical, brain damage, drug product, wrongful death, total hearing loss, breast cancer, and construction cases. He has also tried business litigation cases relating to breach of contract and IP issues. Kevin has represented professional sports teams in litigation and drafted sports liability limitation legislation, which was enacted into law in Illinois. He has served as advisory counsel for businesses on corporate matters and is often engaged as a mediator selected by litigants to resolve disputes.
Kevin joined Hinshaw in March 1984. He has been active in firm management since 1997, as a member of the firm's Executive Committee, and as a member of the firm's Management Committee since 2003. Kevin served as the firm's Vice Chairman from 2009 through 2015, when he was elected as the firm's Chairman.
In addition to his B.A. and J.D. from Boston College and The New England School of Law, he also holds a Certificate of Mediation from Loyola University Chicago/Health Law Center, a Certificate of Law Firm Leadership from Harvard University Law School, and a Certificate in Cybersecurity and Data Privacy from Harvard University. He frequently speaks and is asked to present on matters related to the business of law, law firm change management and innovation in strategies to best serve clients and deliver value efficiently.
- American Bar Association
- Section on Law Management
- Strategic Management Society
- Corporate Legal Operations Professionals Consortium (CLOC)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
Honors & Awards
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Illinois Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Recognized as one of America's Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators, 2019
- Recognized as one of America's Top 100 Bet the Company Litigators, 2019
- Recognized as one of Irish Legal 100 Attorneys
- One of the "Top Ten Medical Malpractice Lawyers" in Illinois by Leading Lawyers, 2014 – Present
- Leading Lawyers 2019 (Ranked 5th by Peers/Judiciary/Clients)
- AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Recognized by his peers as a "Leading Lawyer" in the area of Personal Injury Defense Law for the categories of Professional Malpractice and General; ADR for Personal Injury; and Commercial Litigation, 2006 – Present
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2006 – 2020
- Recognized in the Corporate Counsel Edition of Super Lawyers magazine, 2008 – Present
- A trial to verdict of a commercial business dispute involving claims of breach of contract and intellectual property relating to the design of a manufacturing control device.
- Prepared and litigated the defense of a medical device products case involving a stereotactic radiotherapy device, and claimed brain damage. Case was successfully mediated to resolution.
- Counseled a global medical device manufacturer with regard to product risk analysis and marketing.
- Tried successfully to verdict a medical wrongful death case involving a claim for $17.4 million.
- Tried an obstetrical brain injury and death of an infant to a successful verdict.
- Mediator (selected by parties) of two separate medical negligence wrongful death cases to successful settlement.
- Defended a prominent personal injury attorney in a legal malpractice action involving an underlying trucking accident.
Kevin has presented on the subjects of managed care liability; third-party administrator liability; wrongful birth/life issues; obstetrical malpractice; evidence law; and the trial of a breast cancer case.
Kevin has authored numerous articles in professional journals and publications. He is often asked to comment in the legal press on such topics as legal operations, law firm management, legal service delivery efficiency and client value diversity and inclusion in law firms, technology disruption, and the future of the legal profession.
- June 25, 2020
- February 28, 2020
- March 11, 2019
- February 22, 2019Peter Sullivan Elected Chairman, Kevin Burke Will Return to Trial Practice and Continue to Lead Key Firm Initiatives
- August 28, 2018Partner Honored by "Crain's Chicago Business"
- Hinshaw and Florida International University Successfully Conclude Second Annual Climate Change and Sea Level Rise ConferenceApril 24, 2018
- February 27, 2018
- November 16, 2017
Kevin focuses his personal activities on his belief in the duty of social responsibility, family, the arts, and fitness. He is also actively engaged in support of ovarian cancer patients, and advances in care and organizations related to the medical concern.
- City Club of Chicago
- Goodman Theatre, Business Council
- Executives Club of Chicago, Member
- USA Track & Field – Masters Class All American Competitive Runner