Kevin Joseph Burke is a litigation partner at Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, and former Firm Chairman (2015 – 2019). His trial practice concentrates in the areas of major commercial, civil and professional liability lawsuits.
Mr. Burke has spent his entire professional career as a courtroom trial attorney and litigator, having tried over forty jury cases. Mr. Burke has also represented professional sports teams in litigation and drafted sports liability limitation legislation, which was enacted into law in Illinois. He has served as advisory counsel for businesses on corporate matters and is often engaged as a mediator selected by litigants to resolve disputes.
Mr. Burke joined Hinshaw in March 1984. He has been active in firm management since 1997, as a member of the firm's Executive Committee, and as a member of the firm's Management Committee since 2003. Burke served as the firm's Vice Chairman from 2009 through 2015, when he was elected as the firm's Chairman.
In addition to his B.A. and J.D., Mr. Burke holds a Certificate of Mediation from Loyola University Chicago Law School/Health Law Center, and a Certificate of Law Firm Leadership from Harvard Law School.
- Society of Trial Lawyers
- Illinois Defense Counsel
- Chicago Inn of Court
- Defense Research Institute, Drug and Medical Device Committee
- Illinois Bar Foundation
- American Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- One of the "Top Ten Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Illinois" by Leading Lawyers, 2014 – Present
- AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Recognized by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in the area of Personal Injury Defense Law for the categories of Professional Malpractice and General; ADR for Personal Injury; and Commercial Litigation
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2006 – Present
- Recognized in the Corporate Counsel Edition of Super Lawyers magazine, 2008 – Present
- A trial to verdict of a commercial business dispute involving claims of breach of contract and intellectual property relating to the design of a manufacturing control device.
- Prepared and litigated the defense of a medical device products case involving a stereotactic radiotherapy device, and claimed brain damage. Case was successfully mediated to resolution.
- Counseled a global medical device manufacturer with regard to product risk analysis and marketing.
- Tried successfully to verdict a medical wrongful death case involving a claim for $17.4 million.
- Tried an obstetrical brain injury and death of an infant to a successful verdict.
- Mediator (selected by parties) of two separate medical negligence wrongful death cases to successful settlement.
- Defended a prominent personal injury attorney in a legal malpractice action involving an underlying trucking accident.
Mr. Burke has authored numerous articles in professional journals and publications. He has made presentations on such topics as managed care liability; third-party administrator liability; wrongful birth/life issues; obstetrical malpractice; evidence law; and the trial of a breast cancer case.
- March 11, 2019
- February 22, 2019Peter Sullivan Elected Chairman, Kevin Burke Will Return to Trial Practice and Continue to Lead Key Firm Initiatives
- August 28, 2018Partner Honored by "Crain's Chicago Business"
- Hinshaw and Florida International University Successfully Conclude Second Annual Climate Change and Sea Level Rise ConferenceApril 24, 2018
- February 27, 2018
- November 16, 2017
- June 30, 2017
- May 17, 2017
- December 18, 2012
- January 20, 2011Health Care Alert
Mr. Burke focuses his personal activities on his belief in the duty of social responsibility, family and fitness.
- Goodman Theatre, Business Council
- Executives Club of Chicago, Member
- Gilda's Club
- Hephzibah Children's Association
- Kellogg Cancer Center, North Shore University Health System