Karen Brimmer is a litigator whose practice emphasizes the defense of employment discrimination, benefits litigation and professional liability claims. She advises clients on litigation and other matters dealing with Title VII, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, Section 1983 Claims, whistleblower actions, First Amendment claims and age discrimination actions. She also prepares responses to EEOC and Florida Commission on Human Relations employment-related charges against self-insured, corporate and governmental employers.
In addition to her work on discrimination claims, Ms. Brimmer has extensive jury and non-jury trial experience in state and federal courts, defending claims involving professional liability. She has handled cases concerning medical and dental malpractice, personal injury, legal malpractice, accounting and actuarial malpractice, construction litigation and ERISA litigation.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in April 2000, Ms. Brimmer was a partner at the Miami firm of Stephens, Lynn, Klein & MacNicholas, P.A.
- American Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- Dade County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
Ms. Brimmer is a frequent lecturer on topics dealing with employment law and litigation. Among her presentations are:
- "Employment/Discrimination Law Litigation Strategies," The Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education Committee for the Labor and Employment Law Section, Hollywood, Florida, September 2005.
- "Dealing with Dysfunctional Employees," National Public Employer Labor Relations Association, March 2000.
- "How to Avoid an Employment Lawsuit and What to Do If You Are Sued," Florida Public Employer Labor Relations Association, January 2000.
- "Tips for Human Resources Personnel," International Personnel Management Association, December 1999.
- "Post Termination/Name Clearing Hearings," Florida Public Personnel Association, Inc. July 1999.
- "Recent Case Developments in the Area of Employment Law," National Public Employer Labor Relations Association, April 1999.
- "Tips for Avoiding the Pitfalls, Snares and Other Traps in Human Resources Management," Florida Public Personnel Association conference, July 1998.
- May 18, 2016Appointments Serve to Re-Generate and Add to Diversity of Firm Leadership
- May 18, 2016
- August 2, 2010
J.D., cum laude, University of Miami School of Law, 1977
B.A., College of William & Mary, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle, Northern, and Southern Districts of Florida