Joanna Storey focuses her practice on the defense of litigation matters. She has extensive experience in medical device, pharmaceutical and general product liability matters, as well as other complex and catastrophic personal injury and commercial matters. Joanna has defended professional liability and civil rights matters in state and federal courts, representing physicians, attorneys and public entities. Her clients—which also include pharmaceutical companies, manufacturers and global construction companies—benefit from her vast experience with preparing and presenting dispositive motions to resolve cases without the need for trial.
In addition, Joanna advises clients on compliance with privacy-related laws, rules and regulations. She assists in drafting and implementing privacy policies, focusing on medical privacy issues governed by HIPAA and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act.
Joanna is a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US).
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Joanna was Senior Counsel at a firm in San Francisco where she practiced for over 12 years. During her tenure, she served as Chair for the firm's Professional Development Meetings. Joanna also spent four years at firm in San Jose, California, where she assisted the appellate practice in research and briefing to the California Supreme Court.
While pursuing her undergraduate degree, Joanna completed the Journalism Unit of the Washington Semester Program at American University in Washington, D.C. The program provided her the opportunity to intern with Discovery Communications.
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, Member, 2016–Present
- Women in Security and Privacy, Member, 2016–Present
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Member, 2005–Year
- Legal Ethics Committee, Member, 2016–Present; Secretary, 2018–Present
- American Bar Association, Member, 2001–Present
- Center for Professional Responsibility, Member, 2017–Present
Co-Presenter, "The Top 10 Ethics Rule Changes That May Affect Your Practice," BASF MCLE, San Francisco, California, November 8, 2018
- Co-Presenter, "California's New Rules of Professional Conduct: What You Need to Know," Marin County Women Lawyers CLE, Greenbrae, California, October 18, 2018
- "How to Use Ethics as a Sword and Shield," Bar Association of San Francisco Legal Ethics Committee MCLE, San Francisco, CA, January 24, 2018
- "How to Efficiently and Ethically Discover Medical and Personnel Records," Bar Association of San Francisco Legal Ethics Committee MCLE, San Francisco, CA, July 11, 2017
- "Ethics of Practicing Law in a Digital World," Bar Association of San Francisco Legal Ethics Committee MCLE, San Francisco, CA, January 9, 2017
- "Time to Refresh Your Conflicts Check Procedures," Legal by the Bay, September 5, 2018
- Co-Author, "The Ethics of Third-Party Technology Solutions," San Francisco Attorney Magazine, Spring 2018
- "Who Knew the Courts Adopted Commonsense Professional Guidelines," San Francisco Attorney Magazine, Winter 2017
- "Two's a Company, Three Might Get You Disqualified: The Ethics of Joint Representation," Legal by the Bay, August 15, 2017
- "Think Twice Before You File That Exhibit," Legal by the Bay, Spring 2017
- California Attorneys Must Obtain Client's Signed Understanding of Mediation Confidentiality, Effective January 1, 2019December 3, 2018Lawyers for the Profession®
- November 16, 2018Lawyers for the Profession®
- McKinley Elementary School PTA, Member, 2013–Present
- Executive Board Member, 2014–2018
- Burlingame School District Community Panel, Interviewer for Candidates for Elementary School Principal, 2017
- San Bruno Mothers Club, Treasurer and Historian, 2012–2013
J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, 2001
- Articles Editor, Computer and High Tech Law Journal
B.A., Telecommunications, Indiana University, 1997
- Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California