Jessica Watkins is a litigator who focuses her practice on commercial litigation, professional liability defense, and medical malpractice defense. Additionally, Ms. Watkins counsels her clients on risk management and represents professionals before disciplinary agencies. Ms. Watkins also handles personal injury, automobile negligence, and Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act matters.
Ms. Watkins has experience in all aspects of the litigation process including drafting pleadings, discovery requests and responses, procedural and dispositive motions, fact-witness depositions, and trial preparation.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP as an associate in October 2016, Ms. Watkins was a law clerk since 2015. During law school, she worked as a 711-licensed intern in the Legal Department of Metra Commuter Rail, and served as a student attorney in the Housing and Community Development Legal Clinic. She worked as a teaching assistant in Legal Writing.
Ms. Watkins was a judicial intern to the Honorable Jacqueline P. Cox, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Illinois; and a judicial extern to the Honorable Allen P. Walker, Circuit Court of Cook County, Chancery Division, Mortgage Foreclosure Section.
Ms. Watkins' law school accomplishments include having won the Black Women Lawyers' Association's 2015 Spring Essay Competition. She participated in the GE Capital Mentorship Program, and completed the "An Introduction to IP Theory and Practice" lecture series. Ms. Watkins was a recipient of a Dean's Merit Scholarship Award.
While attending DePaul, Ms. Watkins was selected to study abroad at University of Havana School of Law (Cuba), where she studied future foreign investment, trade, and business transactions between the United States and Cuba.
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyer Section Professional Responsibility
- Committee Legislative Liaison
- Cook County Bar Association, Member
- Black Women Lawyers' Association of Greater Chicago, Inc., Member
Judicial Evaluation Committee, Co-chair
Honors & Awards
- Undergraduate: Dean's List
- Law School: Dean's List
- "Inadvertant Disclosure of Privileged Information," Chicago Bar Association Committee Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, November 17, 2016.
- June 28, 2017Lawyers for the Profession®
- Lawyers in the Classroom, volunteer
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Member
- Wisconsin Alumni Association
- Saint Ignatius College Prep Young Alumni Society