Jedidiah Bernstein focuses his practice on defending manufacturers, suppliers and distributors against product liability claims. He defends companies located internationally and in the United States against a wide range of personal injury and property damage claims. He has successfully defended clients against allegations of manufacturing and design defects, strict liability, failure to warn and breach of warranties. He also litigates class-action lawsuits arising from products subject to national and international recalls. He is involved in all phases of litigation, including pre-lawsuit investigations and settlement negotiations, reviewing and preparing document discovery, attending preliminary and compliance conferences, drafting and arguing motions, conducting depositions and mediations, and trial preparation.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in January 2017, Mr. Bernstein practiced product liability law in the New York office of a nation-wide insurance defense firm. Before that, Mr. Bernstein was a post-graduate fellow in the Labor Bureau of the New York State Attorney General’s Office.
Throughout law school, Mr. Bernstein undertook a variety of notable roles. He served as a law clerk for the Honorable Lisa D. Sirkin of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in New York City. He also engaged in an internship with the Kings County Supreme Court, wherein he conducted legal research on novel civil litigation issues and wrote judicial opinions. In addition, he provided legal advice to small businesses through the Brooklyn Law Incubator & Policy ("BLIP") Clinic.
Honors & Awards
- Named in Westchester Magazine as a Top Rated Civil Litigation Defense Attorney, Rising Star, October 2016
- Super Lawyers, Top Rated Civil Litigation Defense Attorney, Rising Star, 2016
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Employment Law
- "Combating Plaintiff's Reptilian Tactics in Commercial Vehicle, Premises Liability, Products Liability and Med Mal Cases," Strafford webinar, August 9, 2017
- "Combating Plaintiff Reptilian Tactics in Complex and High-Stakes Litigation: Transforming Perception of the Company," Strafford webinar, March 2017
- Co-Author, "Defending Against 'Reptile Theory' Trial Strategy in Tort Litigation," New York Law Journal, November 13, 2017
- "Tips for a Startup Manufacturer in Negotiating Vendor Contracts," JD Supra, May 16, 2017
- Co-Author, "Fly with the Eagles: Defeat the Reptile," The Transportation Lawyer, February 2015
J.D., Brooklyn Law School, 2014
- Member, Brooklyn Journal of International Law
B.A., cum laude, Philosophy, Politics and Law, Binghamton University
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York