Jane Schlicht focuses her practice in complex business and intellectual property litigation and contracts that are related to these areas. She has substantial experience in the litigation of disputes at both the state and federal levels throughout the country. Ms. Schlicht counsels and advises her clients on matters involving patents, trademarks and copyright infringement, as well as disputes involving restrictive covenants and trade secrets. She also handles trademark and copyright registrations and Trademark Trial & Appeal Board (TTAB) proceedings, and counsels her clients in business contracts and transactions. Additionally, Ms. Schlicht assists clients in drafting website development contracts, including agreements for websites that must comply with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS).
Ms. Schlicht joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2011. Previously she was a shareholder in other business and litigation firms.
From 2000 to 2006, Ms. Schlicht was a member and Chair of the Special Preliminary Review Panel of the Wisconsin Office of Lawyer Regulation, having been appointed by Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson. She was also appointed to the Advisory Committee to study cost and delay in the Wisconsin federal court system by then-Chief Judge Robert W. Warren.
In addition to her other law school accomplishments, Ms. Schlicht was the Student Articles Editor of the Marquette Law Review.
- Master in the Thomas E. Fairchild Inns of Court
- National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO)
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- Outstanding Lawyers of America
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
Ms. Schlicht has extensive trial experience in both state and federal court. A selection of her representative cases includes:
- Kasten v. Doral Dental USA, LLC, 301 Wis.2d 598, 2007 WI 76, 733 N.W.2d 300 (2007) (member rights to company documents of an LLC)
- Harold Sampson Children’s Trust, et al v. Linda Gale Sampson 1979 Trust, 265 Wis.2d 803, 667 N.W.2d 831 (2004) (attorney-client privilege)
- S.A. Healy v. MMSD, 50 F.3d 476 (7th Cir. 1995) (differing site conditions)
- S.A. Healy Co. V. MMSD, 60 F.3d 305 (7th Cir. 1996) (Wisconsin Statute for Offers of Settlement applied in diversity cases)
- Dillingham-Healy-Grow-Dew v. MMSD, 796 F. Supp. 1191 (E.D. Wis. 1992) (offers of settlement)
- Kerrigan v. American Orthodontics, 960 F.2d 43 (7th Cir. 1992) (duties of issuer of securities to beneficial stock owners)
- Market Street Associates v. Frey, et al., 941 F.2d 588 (7th Cir. 1991) (contractual good faith duties)
- J.T. Eaton & Company, Inc. v. Bell Laboratories, Inc., 168 F.3d 1320 (Fed. Cir. 1998) (patent infringement)
Some of Ms. Schlicht’s intellectual property cases include:
- Senior Technologies, Inc. v. RF Technologies, Inc., 58 F.Supp. 2d 1076 (D. Neb. 1999), aff’d 13 Fed. App. 930, 2001 WL 392091 (Fed. Cir. 2001), cert. granted and judgment vacated 535 US 1108, on remand ruled not infringed 2003 WL 22148908 (Fed. Cir. 2003) (Successfully defended patent infringement claims involving RFID personal monitoring systems.)
- Instantel v. RF Technologies, Inc., (E.D. WI) (pursued patent infringement involving RFID computer-controlled infant security system)
- Svedala Industries, Inc. v. Fuller Co., (E.D. PA) (pursued patent infringement involving lime-calcining equipment)
- Svedala Industries, Inc., v. Rock Engineered Machinery, Inc., (arbitration) (pursued patent infringement involving tertiary rock-crushing equipment)
- Lindeman Recycling Equipment, Inc. v. The Harris Waste Management Group, (W.D. N.C.) (pursued patent infringement involving recycling/baler equipment)
- J-Star Industries, Inc. v. Valmetal, Inc., (W.D. WI) (pursued trade dress infringement concerning silo unloaders)
- J.T. Eaton Co. v. Bell Laboratories, et al., (W.D. WI) (pursued patent infringement involving "Stick-Em" rodent glue traps)
Ms. Schlicht is a frequent lecturer on trial practice and procedure, e-discovery, restrictive covenants and trade secrets, the Wisconsin ethics rules and contract drafting and disputes. She has been a guest lecturer at Marquette University Law School on e-discovery, ethics and trial practice and procedure. Other recent presentations include:
- "Protecting Your Business Against Theft of Customers and Trade Secrets," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, October 2016.
- "Noncompetition Clauses," Contract Drafting Issues in Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, January 2016.
- "Advanced Intellectual Property Law," Recent Developments in Copyright Law, webcast, National Business Institute, December 2014.
- "Non-Competition and Other Restrictive Clauses in Wisconsin," Milwaukee Bar Association, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, March 2014.
- "Non-Competition Clauses," at the State Bar of Wisconsin’s "Contract Drafting Issues in Wisconsin" conference in Madison, Wisconsin, January 2012.
- "Contract Law in Wisconsin," co-author, State Bar of Wisconsin.
- "Challenges in Defending IP in the Age of the Internet," co-author, Chapter 8, Thompson Reuters Westlaw’s Aspatore Books publication entitled, "Managing Intellectual Property in Cyberspace: Leading Lawyers on Developing an Effective Internet IP Strategy," 2012 edition.
- "Upholding the Sanctity of the Attorney/Client Privilege," The Wisconsin Lawyer, December 2004.
- "Offers of Settlement in Wisconsin Diversity Actions: Opening the Doors to Plaintiffs," The Wisconsin Lawyer, October 1996.
- August 15, 2016
- Jane Schlicht Discusses the Significance of One of the First Dismissals of a Defend Trade Secrets Act LawsuitAugust 10, 2016
- May 18, 2016
- May 12, 2016
- Kourtney Mulcahy and Jane Schlicht Author Chapter in "Managing Intellectual Property Issues in Cyberspace"July 10, 2012
- October 5, 2011
- May 16, 2016Intellectual Property Update
- May 3, 2016
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Holds That Continued Employment Is Lawful Consideration for a Restrictive CovenantMay 5, 2015
J.D., summa cum laude, Marquette University Law School, 1983
- Member, Marquette Law Review
B.A., summa cum laude, Marquette University, 1980
- Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin