James Castle is a litigator who handles a wide range of matters, including insurance and general business disputes. Mr. Castle represents all aspects of the defense of life, long-term care and disability insurers in coverage and bad faith litigation. He also represents health plans in payment disputes with medical providers.
Mr. Castle joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2014 as a result of the merger of Hinshaw and the Los Angeles-based firm of Barger & Wolen LLP. Previously he was a deputy district attorney for the Orange County District Attorney's Office, where he prosecuted criminal cases.
During law school, Mr. Castle served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Gladys Kessler, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, and as a law clerk for the United States Senate Judiciary Committee.
A selection of Mr. Castle's representative matters includes:
- Represented a health plan in arbitration proceedings regarding the proper allocation of financial responsibility for nursing services provided to numerous patients by a hospital under a capitated service agreement.
- Represented a health plan in a payment dispute with a rehabilitation center regarding the medical necessity of services provided to the plan's members.
- Represented insurers in matters before the Department of Insurance, including matters involving prior approval rate hearings, unfair claims practices and orders to show cause, market conduct examinations, notices of noncompliance and enforcement actions.
- Represented Fortune 500 companies in employment and protection of trade secret matters in federal and state courts.
- Represented insurance companies and welfare benefit plans in claims for ERISA benefits in federal court.
- Represented an insurance company before the State Board of Equalization and in state court in its challenge to an assessment of premium taxes based upon out-of-state activities.
- Represented an auto insurance company in nationwide class action challenging the insurer's practices when faced with "diminished value" claims.
- "Media Liability Insurance," Chapter 52 (enhanced and revised), California Insurance Law & Practice, LexisNexis, December 2014
- "Media Liability Insurance," Chapter 53, "California Insurance Law and Practice," LexisNexis Matthew Bender, 2014
- "Property Insurance in General," Chapter 35, "California Insurance Law and Practice," LexisNexis Matthew Bender, 2014
- "General Liability Insurance in General," Chapter 41, "California Insurance Law and Practice," LexisNexis Matthew Bender, 2014
- "Issuance of Insurance Policies," Chapter 9 (Revised), "California Insurance Law and Practice," LexisNexis Matthew Bender, May 2011
- "Subrogation," Chapter 53, "California Insurance Law and Practice," LexisNexis Matthew Bender, September 2010
- "Workers' Compensation Insurance," Chapter 42 (Revised), "California Insurance Law and Practice," LexisNexis Matthew Bender, April 2010
- "The Insurance Contract," Chapter 8, "California Insurance Law and Practice," LexisNexis Publishing, 2010
During his undergraduate studies, Mr. Castle was a member of the University of Southern California Water Polo Team, where he was Captain, a National Champion and an All-American.
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2004
B.S., University of Southern California, 1999
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of California