Gregg Minkin has a national practice with an emphasis in the areas of product liability, professional liability, director’s and officer’s liability, marine and cargo, insurance law and coverage, commercial disputes, contract preparation and disputes, appeals, construction, civil rights and employment law. Gregg specializes in product liability defense with a focus on defending domestic and foreign manufacturers and distributors in civil litigation in federal and state courts throughout the United States.
With over 20 years of experience, Gregg has defended product liability and breach of warranty cases involving a wide variety of products, including household goods and appliances, automotive products including tires, building materials, plumbing materials, batteries, power tools, bicycles and components, children’s toys, holiday electric decorations, theatrical props, gasoline additives, etc.
Gregg routinely defends class action lawsuits, multi-district litigation, wrongful death and other large exposure cases. He also regularly acts as national counsel for manufacturers of recalled products. His knowledge and experience in this area enables him to provide valuable insight and needed assistance to clients both during the recall process and in handling resulting claims.
Gregg has been working in New York litigation firms from 1993 to present.
- Minkin serves as national product liability counsel for numerous manufacturers involving a wide variety of products. In that capacity, he routinely defends product liability cases from first notice of claim through factual and expert investigation and eventual resolution.
- Minkin has successfully resolved hundreds of product liability cases both prior to and during litigation.
- Obtained summary judgment for general contractor in coverage dispute whereby client held to be covered under wrap-up policy for substantial damages caused by fatal crash of JFK Airport Light Rail train during test of service.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit against oil refiner in product liability multi-district litigation involving gasoline additive seeking recovery of hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Secured dismissal of product liability claims by 17 hotel guests against manufacturer of air conditioner power cord that allegedly caused fire resulting in numerous personal injuries and one death.
- Obtained summary judgment for prominent entertainment company against product liability claims by actor alleging serious injuries caused by defective Broadway stage scenery.
- Successfully defended tire manufacturer in wrongful death action by estate of tanker-trailer driver who died in rollover accident involving tire blowout.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment for city and officers against claims of civil rights violations, excessive force and wrongful death arising from death of detainee in police custody.
- Obtained Second Circuit reversal in favor of college student’s sexual harassment claims against professor that also established Second Circuit’s Title IX standard for professor sexual harassment of students.
- Obtained Second Circuit decision upholding dismissal of high profile lawsuit by strip club against village and officers for First Amendment violations through selective enforcement of law.
- Defeated summary judgment motion by co-op board and obtained landmark first ruling by a New York court that co-op boards in New York can be held liable for failing to assist residents with second-hand smoke in apartments.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment of First Amendment, false arrest and excessive force claims by former mayoral candidate against village, mayor and officers.
J.D., cum laude, Union University, Albany School of Law, 1993
B.A., Muhlenberg College, 1989
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Oklahoma