Elyse Ryan focuses her practice in the areas of toxic tort litigation, medical device litigation, long-term care facility litigation, products liability, personal injury and construction services. Elyse's broad practice includes handling cases for a variety of clients including medical institutions, manufacturers of medical devices, home products, and chemicals, retail stores, construction companies, and engineering companies. Elyse has successfully disposed of cases through motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment, and resolved cases through settlement negotiation, pre-trial settlement conferences, as well as mediation. She is actively involved in all stages of litigation, and is committed to being accessible to clients throughout the litigation process.
While at Hinshaw, Elyse has assisted in planning the firm's fundraisers for the Chicago Bar Foundation's Investing in Justice Campaign to assist in funding legal aid and pro bono organizations. Elyse is also an active member of the American Bar Association.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Elyse was a summer associate with the firm. During law school, she worked as a criminal law research assistant. Elyse also spent a summer in China, where she organized a symposium on public interest law.
Elyse supplemented her law school studies by volunteering at Cabrini Green Legal Aid, where she assisted petitioners in the expungement and sealing of their criminal records.
Elyse's law school accomplishments included being inducted to the Order of the Coif. She was a member of the Dean's List, and in 2012 was a recipient of the Dean's Certificate of Pro Bono Service. During her undergraduate studies, Elyse was also a member of the Dean's List and Phi Alpha Theta history honor society, as well as a recipient of the James and Lois MacDonald History Scholarship.
Honors & Awards
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, 2021; and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, 2021
- Co-Presenter, "Engineering Ethics Part 1 for Wisconsin, Indiana, and Illinois Engineers," Illinois Society of Professional Engineers, Webinar, May 13, 2020
- Co-Presenter, "Structural Engineering Ethics: Doing the Right Thing and Knowing Why," National Council of Structural Engineers Associations Structural Engineering Summit, Chicago, Illinois, October 26, 2018
- Co-Presenter, "Ethics for Engineers: Wisconsin & Illinois," Illinois Society of Professional Engineers, webinar, May 2, 2018
- Co-Presenter, "Drones: Don't be Fogged in by Cloudy Laws!," Structural Engineers Association of Illinois, Chicago, January 9, 2018
- "Ethics for Engineers: Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana," webinar, Illinois Society of Professional Engineers, Springfield, Illinois, May 2016
Assisted with fourth edition of Illinois Criminal Law, published by LexisNexis in 2006
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
Elyse lives and works in Chicago. She loves to travel and loves spending time outdoors as long as Chicago weather allows.
J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, DePaul University College of Law, 2013
B.A., cum laude, History, Miami University, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois