Edward Sylvester has an extensive insurance practice that is founded on nearly two decades of experience representing insurance companies in insurance coverage matters—whether insurance companies are admitted carriers or surplus lines carriers. With vast experience in a wide variety of commercial, professional and personal policies, Ed knowledgeably advises his clients in cases involving both third and first party claims, including all aspects of litigation. His cases have involved many policies including—but not limited to—commercial general liability, commercial auto, commercial property, architects and engineers, directors and officers, errors and omissions, RV and trucking, as well as commercial excess and commercial umbrella. Further, Ed is well-versed in personal auto, personal life insurance and homeowners policies. He also handles coverage matters involving common law and/or statutory bad faith.
Ed has been involved in many significant cases interpreting an insurance company's duties to defend and indemnify, including consideration of breaches to insuring agreements, policy conditions, policy exclusions, as well as interpretations of policy terms and definitions.
Before joining Hinshaw, Ed worked extensively on insurance coverage matters with a firm in Cleveland, Ohio.
In law school, Ed served two terms as the Research/Case and Comment Editor for the Akron Law Review and had the following note published: "Chenault v. Huie: Denying the Existence of a Legal Duty Between a Mother and Her Unborn Child," 33 Akron L. Rev. 107 (1999). He is also a member of the Akron Law Alumni Association.
Prior to his legal career, Ed spent 10 years as Founder and President of Fistlaw, Inc., a martial arts school where he focused on self-defense instruction, video seminars and equipment design. He is a member of the Universal Society of Black Belts and holds a 5th Degree black belt.
- The Florida Bar, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Litigation Section, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Member
- Health First, Inc. v. Capitol Specialty Ins. Corp., 230 F. Supp. 3d 1285 (M.D. Fla. 2017)
- Highland Holdings, Inc. v. Mid-Continent Cas. Co., 687 F. App'x 819 (11th Cir. 2017)
- Mid-Continent Cas. Co. v. Royal Crane, LLC, 169 So. 3d 174 (Fla. 4th DCA 2015)
- King Cole Condo. Ass'n v. Mid-Continent Cas. Co., 21 F. Supp. 3d 1296 (S.D. Fla. 2014)
- B.D. Constr., Inc. v. Mid-Continent Cas. Co., 571 F. App'x 918 (11th Cir. 2014)
- Mid-Continent Cas. Co. v. Am. Pride Bldg. Co., Ltd. Liab. Co., 601 F.3d 1143 (11th Cir. 2010)
- Acuity v. McCulley, 208 F. Supp. 2d 860 (N.D. Ohio 2002)
- Allen v. Johnson, 2003-Ohio-5889, 100 Ohio St. 3d 276, 798 N.E.2d 591
- Mazza v. Am. Cont'l Ins. Co., 2003-Ohio-360 (Ct. App.)
- Bubp v. Am. Mfrs. Mut. Ins. Co., 2003-Ohio-5750 (Ct. App.)
- February 8, 2011Insurance Coverage Alert
- Insurer Not Entitled to Reimbursement of Defense Expenses Despite Reservation of Rights on the IssueNovember 30, 2010Insurance Coverage Alert
J.D., University of Akron School of Law, 2000
- Research Case & Comment Editor, Akron Law Review
B.B.A., Marketing Management, Baldwin-Wallace College, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio