David S. Weinstein represents companies and individuals in white collar criminal defense, seized asset recovery, financial fraud investigations, corporate compliance, anti-money laundering, False Claims Act (FCA), and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) matters. He has decades of experience—especially in South Florida—as a criminal defense attorney and also as a federal and state prosecutor. David's vast experience within the criminal justice system provides him with a unique perspective on the resolution of existing and potential issues for his clients.
As an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida for approximately 11 years, David tried 35 jury trials; the cases were primarily multi-defendant, multi-jurisdictional, and international drug conspiracy cases. He tried an additional 70 felony jury trials of varying degrees—including a first degree murder prosecution—while working as an Assistant State Attorney for the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office.
David has appeared as a legal analyst in print media as well as on a number of national, international, and local television news programs for networks that include Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CNBC, MSNBC, CNN, CTV, and the BBC World News.
Before joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, David S. Weinstein practiced at two different firms in Miami. He was a senior member of the white collar practice teams at each firm.
David spent more than a decade practicing as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida. During his tenure, he served as Deputy Chief in the Major Crimes and Narcotics Section, as Chief of the Narcotics Section and as the Chief of the Public Integrity, National Security and Criminal Civil Rights Section. Prior to that, David worked for more than nine years as an Assistant State Attorney for the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office. While there, he served as Chief of the Narcotics Section, the Robbery and Career Criminal Section and as Deputy Chief of the Felony Division.
- Government Enforcement and Corporate Compliance Committee, Vice Chair, 2017–Present
- Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter
- Executive Board Member, Treasurer, 2013–Present; President, 2018–Present
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Criminal Defense: White-Collar, 2013 – 2020
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2013 – 2016
- Administrator's Award (given for outstanding contributions to drug law enforcement), Drug Enforcement Administration, 2002
- Director's Award (given for outstanding performance by an Assistant U.S. Attorney), Executive Office for United States Attorneys, 1999
David is the legal analyst and host of Huddlin' With the Pros (HWTP) Sports Talk Radio which airs live every Wednesday from 9:00–10:00 p.m. (ET).
Other presentations include:
- "What to Do When the Feds Knock on Your Door: Compliance, Response and Prevention," Corporate Counsel Symposium, September 18, 2017
- Panelist and Moderator "Crimes of Hate: The Mental Psychosis Behind Hate Crimes in the United States," Broward County Crime Commission, February 2017
- "Examining Deferred Prosecution Agreements, Reviewing the Essentials of In-House Compliance Programs, Employee Conduct and Maintaining Open Lines of Communication With DOJ," The Knowledge Congress – Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing in Banking and Finance, Live Webcast, February 2013
- Co-Author, "Proactive Counsel in the Era of the Opioid Epidemic," Daily Business Review, August 1, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- Aram Bloom and David Weinstein Discuss Proactive Strategies for Counseling Clients as Feds and State AGs Ramp Up Opioid Enforcement EffortsAugust 7, 2019
- Hinshaw's David Weinstein Discusses Congressional Testimony of Former Special Prosecutor Robert MuellerJuly 29, 2019
- Hinshaw's David S. Weinstein Discusses Arrest and Indictment of Billionaire Sex Offender Jeffrey EpsteinJuly 10, 2019
- David S. Weinstein Discusses Obligations of U.S. Political Candidates to Report Contact with Foreign AgentsJune 17, 2019
- April 22, 2019
- April 12, 2019
- February 13, 2019
J.D., University of Miami Law School, 1987
B.A., Political Science, State University of New York at Binghamton, 1984
- U.S. District Court for the Middle, Northern, and Southern Districts of Florida