David S. Weinstein represents companies and individuals in white collar criminal defense, seized asset recovery, financial fraud investigations, corporate compliance, anti-money laundering, False Claims Act (FCA), and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) matters. He has decades of experience—especially in South Florida—as a criminal defense attorney and also as a federal and state prosecutor. David's vast experience within the criminal justice system provides him with a unique perspective on the resolution of existing and potential issues for his clients.
As an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida for approximately 11 years, David tried 35 jury trials; the cases were primarily multi-defendant, multi-jurisdictional, and international drug conspiracy cases. He tried an additional 70 felony jury trials of varying degrees—including a first degree murder prosecution—while working as an Assistant State Attorney for the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office.
David has appeared as a legal analyst in print media as well as on a number of national, international, and local television news programs for networks that include CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, Fox, CNBC, MSNBC, CNN, CTV, the BBC World News, and SKY News.
Before joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, David S. Weinstein practiced at two different firms in Miami. He was a senior member of the white collar practice teams at each firm.
David spent more than a decade practicing as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida. During his tenure, he served as Deputy Chief in the Major Crimes and Narcotics Section, as Chief of the Narcotics Section and as the Chief of the Public Integrity, National Security and Criminal Civil Rights Section. Prior to that, David worked for more than nine years as an Assistant State Attorney for the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office. While there, he served as Chief of the Narcotics Section, the Robbery and Career Criminal Section and as Deputy Chief of the Felony Division.
- Government Enforcement and Corporate Compliance Committee, Chair, 2019 – Present; Vice Chair, 2017 – 2019
- Federal Bar Association
- South Florida Chapter, Executive Board Member, 2013 – Present; President, 2018 – 2019; Immediate Past President
Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Criminal Defense: White-Collar, 2013 – 2021
- Recognized on the Super Lawyers list by Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2013 – 2016
- Administrator's Award (given for outstanding contributions to drug law enforcement), Drug Enforcement Administration, 2002
- Director's Award (given for outstanding performance by an Assistant U.S. Attorney), Executive Office for United States Attorneys, 1999
David is the legal analyst and host of Huddlin' With the Pros (HWTP) Sports Talk Radio which airs live every Wednesday from 9:00–10:00 p.m. (ET).
Other presentations include:
- "Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Enforcement Update: DOJ Continues to Revise its Corporate Enforcement Policy," Miami Finance Forum (MFF) Lunch & Learn, January 16, 2020
- "FCPA Enforcement Update: What's Changed and How to Navigate the Rules of the Road," FFTA Lunch & Learn, Miami, Florida, October 23, 2019
- Panelist, "Conducting Effective Internal Investigations," DRI's Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Seminar, Chicago, Illinois September 6, 2018
- "What to Do When the Feds Knock on Your Door: Compliance, Response and Prevention,"FDCC's 14th Annual Corporate Counsel Symposium, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 18, 2017
- Panelist, "History and Dynamics of Terrorism – Domestic and International," Broward County Crime Commission presents Crimes of Hate: The Mental Psychosis Behind Hate Crimes in the United States, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, February 10, 2017
- Moderator, "Pulse Nightclub Orlando Attack: a Hate Crime, an Act of Terrorism, or Both?," Broward County Crime Commission presents Crimes of Hate: The Mental Psychosis Behind Hate Crimes in the United States, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, February 10, 2017
- "Examining Deferred Prosecution Agreements, Reviewing the Essentials of In-House Compliance Programs, Employee Conduct and Maintaining Open Lines of Communication With DOJ," The Knowledge Congress – Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing in Banking and Finance, Live Webcast, February 2013
- "Fraud, Imposter Scams and Money Mule Schemes Proliferate During COVID-19," Daily Business Review, August 5, 2020
- Co-Author, "Proactive Counsel in the Era of the Opioid Epidemic," Daily Business Review, August 1, 2019
- Hinshaw's David S. Weinstein Discusses Impact of COVID-19 on Derek Chauvin Murder Trial with ABC NewsMarch 24, 2021
- March 9, 2021
- November 6, 2020
- September 3, 2020
- Sixty-Five Hinshaw Lawyers Recognized in 2021 Editions of Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchAugust 20, 2020Three Lawyers Honored as "Lawyer of the Year"
- David S. Weinstein Describes COVID-19-Related Fraud Schemes Targeting Financial Institutions and IndividualsAugust 7, 2020
- David S. Weinstein Discusses Impact of Newly Unsealed Papers in Ghislaine Maxwell Case With New York Daily NewsAugust 4, 2020
- New York Times, The Guardian and New York Daily News Quote David S. Weinstein Regarding Arrest and Indictment of Ghislaine MaxwellJuly 8, 2020