David S. Weinstein represents companies and individuals in white collar criminal defense, seized asset recovery, financial fraud investigations, corporate compliance, anti-money laundering and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) matters. He has decades of experience — especially in South Florida — as a criminal defense attorney and also as a federal and state prosecutor. David's vast experience within the criminal justice system provides him with a unique perspective on the resolution of existing and potential issues for his clients.
As an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida for approximately 11 years, David tried 35 jury trials; the cases were primarily multi-defendant, multi-jurisdictional, and international drug conspiracy cases. He tried an additional 70 felony jury trials of varying degrees — including a first degree murder prosecution — while working as an Assistant State Attorney for the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office.
David has appeared as a legal analyst in print media as well as on a number of national, internation and local television news programs for networks that include Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CNBC, MSNBC, CNN, CTV and the BBC World News.
Before joining Hinshaw, David S. Weinstein practiced at two different firms in Miami. He was a senior member of the white collar practice teams at each firm.
David spent more than a decade practicing as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida. During his tenure, he served as Deputy Chief in the Major Crimes and Narcotics Section, as Chief of the Narcotics Section and as the Chief of the Public Integrity, National Security and Criminal Civil Rights Section. Prior to that, David worked for more than nine years as an Assistant State Attorney for the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office. While there, he served as Chief of the Narcotics Section, the Robbery and Career Criminal Section and as Deputy Chief of the Felony Division.
- DRI Government Enforcement and Corporate Compliance Committee, Vice Chair, 2017–Present
- Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter, Executive Board Member, Treasurer and President Elect, 2013–Present
Honors & Awards
- Selected for inclusion in "The Best Lawyers in America®" for Criminal Defense: White-Collar since 2013
- Administrator's Award (given for outstanding contributions to drug law enforcement), Drug Enforcement Administration, 2002
- Director's Award (given for outstanding performance by an Assistant U.S. Attorney), Executive Office for United States Attorneys, 1999
David is the legal analyst and host of Huddlin' With the Pros (HWTP) Sports Talk Radio which airs live every Wednesday from 9:00–10:00 p.m. (ET).
Other presentations include:
- "What to Do When the Feds Knock on Your Door: Compliance, Response and Prevention," Corporate Counsel Symposium, September 18, 2017
- Panelist and Moderator "Crimes of Hate: The Mental Psychosis Behind Hate Crimes in the United States," Broward County Crime Commission, February 2017
- "Examining Deferred Prosecution Agreements, Reviewing the Essentials of In-House Compliance Programs, Employee Conduct and Maintaining Open Lines of Communication With DOJ," The Knowledge Congress – Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing in Banking and Finance, Live Webcast, February 2013
- David S. Weinstein Appears on Joe Rose Show to Discuss Barbershop Battle between LeBron James and Nick SabanApril 5, 2018
- Media Summary: David S. Weinstein Provides Media Commentary Regarding Latest Developments in the Trial of the Pulse Nightclub Shooter's WidowMarch 29, 2018
- February 16, 2018
- Media Summary: David S. Weinstein and Ken Yeadon Provide Analysis of Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn's Guilty PleaDecember 5, 2017
- November 17, 2017
- Media Summary: Ken Yeadon and David S. Weinstein Discuss the Indictment of former Trump Campaign Chair Paul ManafortNovember 3, 2017
- On the Joe Rose Show: David S. Weinstein Discusses Dallas Cowboy Ezekiel Elliot, Former NFL QB Colin Kaepernick and the Termination of Louisville's Rick PitinoOctober 17, 2017
- David S. Weinstein Discusses NCAA Federal Bribery and Fraud Charges from the FBI on the Joe Rose ShowSeptember 27, 2017
J.D., University of Miami Law School, 1987
B.A., Political Science, State University of New York at Binghamton, 1984
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida