David Jones' civil litigation practice emphasizes the liability defense of professionals, including lawyers, accountants, architects and engineers.
Mr. Jones has defended attorneys in professional malpractice cases since he joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in 1986, and is frequently retained by attorneys in matters where there is no applicable malpractice insurance. Insured and uninsured attorneys in Central Illinois, from the Quad Cities to Bloomington to Macomb, frequently ask Mr. Jones to represent them when they are sued for malpractice, and he is currently handling pending malpractice cases for both categories of attorneys.
As a reflection of his outstanding reputation in attorney malpractice counsel, Mr. Jones is a past co-chair of the Professional Liability Section Committee of the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel. He also served an appointment by the Illinois Supreme Court to its Committee on Civil Jury Instructions, the committee responsible to the Supreme Court for the drafting of all civil instructions.
- American Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Peoria County Bar Association
- Past Board of Directors
- Past Continuing Education Committee Member
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a Leading Lawyer in the category of Personal Injury Defense Law in the areas of General and Professional Malpractice
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2005–2007)
Among Mr. Jones' reported decisions in Illinois case law are the following attorney malpractice cases, which have helped to shape attorney malpractice law in the state:
- Person v. Behnke, 242 Ill.App.3d 933, 611 N.E.2d 1350, 183 Ill. Dec. 702 (Ill. App. 4 Dist., Mar 31, 1993) (No. 4-92-0331).
- Beastall v. Madson, 235 Ill.App.3d 95, 600 N.E.2d 1323, 175 Ill. Dec. 865 (Ill. App. 3 Dist., Oct 06, 1992) (No. 3-92-0054).
- Klass v. Winstein, Kavensky, Wallace & Doughty, 219 Ill.App.3d 817, 579 N.E.2d 365, 161 Ill. Dec. 817 (Ill. App. 3 Dist., Jul 16, 1991) (No. 3-90-0473).
- Farm Credit Bank of St. Louis v. Gamble, 197 Ill.App.3d 101, 554 N.E.2d 779, 143 Ill. Dec. 844 (Ill. App. 3 Dist., May 4, 1990) (No. 3-89-0398).
- First Nat. Bank of Moline v. Califf, Harper, Fox & Dailey, 193 Ill.App.3d 83, 548 N.E.2d 1361, 139 Ill. Dec. 647 (Ill. App. 3 Dist., Dec 29, 1989) (No. 3-89-0206).
- Michel v. Gard, 181 Ill.App.3d 630, 536 N.E.2d 1375, 130 Ill. Dec. 164 (Ill. App. 3 Dist., Apr 7, 1989) (No. 3-88-0464).
- Reynolds v. Danz, 172 Ill.App.3d 907, 527 N.E.2d 169, 122 Ill. Dec. 797 (Ill. App. 3 Dist., Aug 8, 1988) (No. 3-88-0065).
- Brocato v. Prairie State Farmers Ins. Ass'n, 166 Ill.App.3d 986, 520 N.E.2d 1200, 117 Ill. Dec. 849 (Ill. App. 4 Dist., Mar 9, 1988) (No. 4-87-0641).
Throughout his career Mr. Jones has given numerous lectures and seminars on topics concerning trial tactics and skills, evidence, and attorney malpractice and its prevention. His presentations include:
- "The Significant New Decisions Affecting Litigation Attorneys," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, February 2012.
- "Significant Developments in Litigation Legal Malpractice Claims," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference in Chicago, Illinois, February 2011.
J.D., University of Illinois, 1980
M.A., University of Cincinnati, 1972
B.A., cum laude, Baylor University, 1969
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois