David Hanus focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation and class actions, with an emphasis on construction litigation; consumer financial services including TCPA and FDCPA class actions; employment litigation; fidelity and employee theft; ERISA and life, health, and disability; product liability and professional liability. He also regularly serves as a mediator and arbitrator in construction disputes before the Milwaukee Metropolitan Builders Association.
In the area of professional liability, his experience includes architectural and engineering malpractice, legal malpractice and accounting malpractice.
Mr. Hanus joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in March 2001. He is a member of the Civil Trial Counsel of Wisconsin, which he has served as amicus counsel before the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
Mr. Hanus was the subject of a profile in Milwaukee's The Daily Reporter, on July 26, 2010, entitled "Focusing on Philosophy of Law Pays Off."
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Sections
- Defense Research Institute
- American Institute of Architects, Wisconsin
- Milwaukee Metropolitan Builders Association
- Construction Arbitration Board, ACA International
- Wisconsin Collectors Association
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Wisconsin Super Lawyers magazine (2007)
- 1325 North Van Buren, LLC v. T-3 Group Ltd., 2006 WI 94, 716 N.W.2d 822 (2006)
- Hansen v. Degnitz, 283 Wis. 2d 455, 701 N.W.2d 77 (Ct. App. 2005)
- Young v. Aurora Medical Center, 272 Wis. 2d 300, 679 N.W.2d 549 (Ct. App. 2004)
- Finnegan v. Wisconsin Patients Compensation Fund, 263 Wis. 2d 574, 666 N.W.2d 797 (2003)
- Strasser v. Transtech Mobile Fleet Service, Inc., 236 Wis. 2d 435, 613 N.W.2d 142 (2000)
- Woodward Communications, Inc. v. Shockley Communications Corp., 240 Wis. 2d 492, 622 N.W.2d 756 (Ct. App. 2000)
His presentations include:
- "Current Trends in FDCPA Litigation," Annual Meeting, Wisconsin Collectors Association and Minnesota Association of Collectors, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, May 2006
- "Contract Law for Contractors," Gilbane Inc. Project Manager/Project Executive Peer Group Meeting, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, December 2005
- "A Construction Contract Overview—Interrelationships Among the Owner, Contractor, and Architect/Engineer," Hinshaw's seminar, "Legal Issues Affecting the Construction Industry," Appleton, Wisconsin, September 2004
- Author, "Individual Supervisor Liability Under Title VII and the ADEA," 45 Drake Law Review. 999 (1997)
- Author, Wisconsin Section of the "American Bar Association Payment Bond Manual—Third Edition."
- Contributor, "General Agreement (F) Notice of Legal Proceedings Against Insured—Election to Defend," a chapter in "Financial Institution Bonds 537-576," (Duncan L. Clore ed., 3d ed.) 2008
- January 31, 2011
J.D., Drake University, 1996
- Member, Drake Law Review
- Listed, Who's Who Among American Law Students
B.A., Marquette University, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin