Annmarie D'Amour focuses her practice in a range of law firm issues, primarily in guiding attorneys through business issues concerning the formation and dissolution of their businesses, and in the defense of lawyers and law firms against claims of malpractice brought by former clients.
In addition, Ms. D'Amour represents attorneys in disputes that arise when a firm dissolves or an attorney leaves a firm and takes clients or wants additional compensation.
Ms. D'Amour also practices in the area of consumer litigation and transactions, representing lenders in foreclosure actions.
Ms. D’Amour joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP as an associate in January 2012. Previously she was of counsel to the firm since 2007. Ms. D’Amour began her legal career in 1990 at Ohrenstein & Brown, LLP; in 1999, she was an associate at Reed Smith LLP, in New York and returned to Ohrenstein & Brown, LLP in 2002 as a partner.
A selection of Ms. D’Amour’s representative matters and transactions includes:
- Successfully moved to dismiss a legal malpractice action brought against a matrimonial attorney by a former client alleging negligence with respect to the divorce settlement agreement allocated in court.
- Successfully defended on the pleadings three almost identical legal malpractice and due process complaints brought by a pro se plaintiff against attorneys who represented another party in an estate action.
- Represented an attorney with a new, limited liability company through the preparation and negotiation of the company’s first operating agreements, advising the client on numerous business and operational issues.
- "Lawyers as Trustees: Legal Advisor, Fiduciary or Both?" West LegalEdcenter, live webcast, November 2012.
"State Versus Feds: Ethically Representing a Medical Marijuana Business," DRI's The Voice, July 22, 2015.
- Practicing Without a Net: Protecting your Firm by Agreement
- Don't Let Your Career Go Up In Smoke
- LMRM 2015 — Psssst! Are you Covered? Developments In Professional Liability Insurance Coverage
- LMRM 2015 – What’s your Damage? The World of Legal Malpractice Damages
- It’s 10 a.m. Do you know where your Attorney Is? The Rise of the Virtual Law Office
Lawyers for the Profession®
- May 16, 2018Cyber Alert
- March 14, 2018
- October 26, 2017
- May 17, 2017
- June 24, 2016Lawyers for the Profession®
- August 11, 2015Lawyers for the Profession® Alert
- April 29, 2014
J.D., Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University, 1990
- Law Review
B.S., summa cum laude, Architectural Technology, New York Institute of Technology, 1985
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York