Alyssa Johnson represents a wide-range of professionals in liability matters. Armed with extensive trial and appellate experience, she is a fierce advocate for each of her clients. Alyssa defends lawyers and law firms in legal malpractice matters including those arising from their underlying casework, as well as claims alleging Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) violations. She also represents financial advisors in disciplinary proceedings and real estate brokers in claims of misrepresentations. Additionally, Alyssa assists in defending doctors and nurses in claims of deliberate indifference by inmates.
Alyssa has over five years of experience representing clients in a variety of matters. She is an active participant in the State Bar of Wisconsin's Ready.Set.Practice. New Lawyer Mentoring Program. The program matches new lawyers that have been practicing five years or less with a lawyer that has six years or more of experience within the legal profession to provide mentor and mentee relationships.
Prior to joining Hinshaw, Alyssa was an associate with a firm in Hartford, Wisconsin. She also practiced with a firm in Brookfield, Wisconsin, where she was a law clerk during law school. During her undergraduate studies, she was a legal intern with The Washington Center, in D.C.
- Milwaukee Young Lawyers Association, Member, 2017 – Present
- Association of Women Lawyers, Member, 2017 – Present
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Member, 2017 – Present
- Lawyers' Professionalism and Ethics Committee, Young Lawyer Liaison Chair, 2018 – Present
- National Association of Women Lawyers, Member, 2017 – Present
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Member, 2012 – Present
- Litigation Section, Member, 2012 – Present
Honors & Awards
- Named a "Rising Star" by Wisconsin Super Lawyers Magazine, 2017 – 2018
- Represented a mortgage company in trial and subsequent appeal. The court of appeals extended the business record's exception to the rule against hearsay—allowing admission of a third-party's records into evidence where the records are integrated into the offering party's records and relied on by the offering party—where the elements of the business records exception are otherwise met.
- "Legal Ethics: New Developments, Proposed Rules, and Evolving Attorney Duties You Need to Know," National Business Institute, February 6, 2019
- Co-Presenter, "Legal Ethics: New & Proposed Rules & Top Ethics Opinions," National Business Institute, December 20, 2018
- Co-Presenter, "The 7 Deadly Sins of Legal Ethics," National Business Institute, June 29, 2018
- Co-Presenter, "Legal Ethics of Client Communication," National Business Institute, June 19, 2018
- Co-Presenter, "Legal Ethics: New Rules for Client Due Diligence," National Business Institute, April 18, 2018
- Co-Presenter, "Legal Ethics: Solutions to the Most Common Challenges," National Business Institute, February 27, 2018
- Co-Presenter, "Legal Ethics: Top 10 Client Mistakes," National Business Institute, January 31, 2018
Co-Presenter, "Legal Ethics: Attorney Fees and Client Funds," National Business Institute, December 20, 2017
- "Foreclosure Compliance: New Requirements and Advanced Issues," National Business Institute, Madison and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, July 15 – 16, 2014
"Inexcusable Incompetence: The Duty to 'Keep Abreast' of Technology", DRI's, For the Defense, Volume 53, Issue 3, 2017
Consumer Crossroads: Where Financial Services and Litigation Intersect
- October 30, 2018
- California District Court Applies California's New Rule of Professional Conduct to Disqualify Firm from RepresentationOctober 22, 2018Lawyers for the Profession®
- October 2, 2018Lawyers for the Profession®
- California Court Holds Plaintiff Must Only Prove Attorney Was "Substantial Factor" of Loss, Not "But For" CausationSeptember 20, 2018Lawyers for the Profession®
- September 17, 2018
- January 4, 2018
- August 17, 2017
- May 17, 2017
- November 30, 2016
In her spare time, Alyssa enjoys running, biking, and yoga, as well as spending time with family and friends. She also dedicates time to raising money for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Ready.Set.Practice Mentee, 2016 – 2018
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Ready.Set.Practice Mentor, 2019
J.D., Marquette University Law School, 2012
B.A., magna cum laude, Political Science, University of Wisconsin at Whitewater, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin