Suzanne Jones litigates complex first and third-party coverage disputes on behalf of insurance companies in state and federal courts across the country and is responsible for developing, researching and executing litigation strategies from the initial stage of a claim through dispositive motion practice and, if necessary, trial. Suzanne's experience ranges from declaratory judgment actions, breach of contract actions, direct actions and extra-contractual and bad faith actions. She is experienced in deposing and defending corporate witnesses, fact witnesses and expert witnesses in lawsuits involving insurance disputes.
Suzanne also routinely counsels clients on risk management and insurance coverage issues under a variety of insurance policies, including general liability, professional liability, directors and officers liability, errors and omissions, fiduciary liability, employment practices liability, homeowners' policies and auto policies.
Suzanne joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in September of 2008. While in law school, she was a judicial extern clerk for the Honorable Earl Carroll, U.S. District Court, Arizona in 2007.
Suzanne is actively involved in the American Bar Association.
- American Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Finance & Planning Committee (2010–2011)
- Membership Services Committee (2011–2012)
- Minnesota State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Law360 as a "Top Attorney Under 40" in 2016 in the practice of Insurance. Law360 recognized 179 attorneys across the country under the age of 40 based on "career accomplishments" that "belie their age."
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers magazine (2015–2017)
Hoops & Associates, P.C. et al. v. Financial Solutions and Associates, Inc. et al. - Case No. 07SL-CC00938, Garnishment No. 11-GARN-2299, Circuit Court of St. Louis County, Missouri, October 19, 2012 – Order granting summary judgment in favor of our insurer client concluding that insurer had no obligation to provide coverage for $4,000,000 TCPA judgment under Errors and Omissions Liability policy.
Spirtas v. Nautilus Ins. Co. - 715 F.3d 667 (8th Cir. May 20, 2013) (Missouri), Case No. 12-3315 - Order affirming summary judgment in favor of our insurer client concluding that general liability policy did not provide coverage for economic loss resulting from insured's substandard work and failure to comply with a contract.
Secure Energy v. Philadelphia Indemnity Insurance Company - 2013 WL 2145927 (E.D. Mo. May 15, 2013), Case No. 4:11-CV-1636 - Order granting summary judgment in favor of our insurer client concluding that insurer Directors and Officers policy did not provide coverage for underlying lawsuit because "claims made and reporting" requirements were not met.
Franklin Quick Cash v. Continental Western Insurance Company - 436 S.W.3d 548 (Mo. May 27 2014), Case No. SC93502 - Order reversing summary judgment in favor of the insured and rendering judgment in favor of our insurer client concluding that insurer had no obligation under commercial general liability policy to defend or indemnify insured in underlying action for conversion and negligence based on wrongful repossession of vehicle.
Grand/Sakwa Management, L.L.C., Grand/Sakwa Properties, L.L.C. and Gary Sakwa v. PIIC – Arbitration in Michigan, July 21, 2014 – Order granting summary judgment in favor of our insurer client concluding that defendant in underlying lawsuits did not qualify as an "insured" under Employed Lawyers Professional Liability Insurance policy.
- Co-author, "Limiting Your Equine Liability Under Minnesota Law," University of Minnesota Equine Extension Newsletter, Vol. 15, No. 2, February 2018; republished by Farm Forum, February 5, 2018
Co-author, "Understanding Minnesota's Equine Liability Statute," University of Minnesota Equine Extension Newsletter, Vol. 15, No. 1, January 2018; republished by Farm Forum, January 8, 2018
- Co-author, "Settling with Limited Funds," Insurance Coverage Litigation, American Bar Association, August 1, 2012
- February 6, 2018
- January 24, 2018
- March 31, 2016Law360
- July 1, 2015
- June 3, 2014
- October 4, 2011
- January 12, 2011Insurance Coverage Alert
- St. Thomas University Law School Alumni Association
J.D., St. Thomas University School of Law, 2008
B.A., Political Science, Boston College, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota