Adam Saper helps companies protect their interests in business disputes in state and federal courts throughout the United States. His practice focuses on business litigation, securities litigation, lending and servicing litigation, and class action litigation.
Mr. Saper represents medium and large businesses in prosecuting and defending claims for breach of contract, tortious interference, unfair competition, commercial disparagement, fraud, conversion, breach of fiduciary duty, enforcement of post-employment restrictive covenants, and the protection of trade secrets. He has extensive experience prosecuting and defending motions for temporary and permanent injunctive relief in state and federal courts.
Mr. Saper represents broker-dealers and financial advisors in litigation and arbitration involving claims of unsuitability, churning, unauthorized trading, state and federal securities fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, negligent supervision, enforcement of restrictive covenants, and misappropriation of trade secrets. He has also defended industry participants in enforcement and disciplinary actions at both the state and federal levels. In addition, he represents shareholders of closely held corporations, limited liability companies and other closely held entities in ownership and control disputes, including the prosecution and defense of claims for breach of fiduciary duty, waste, usurping corporate opportunities, and oppression.
Mr. Saper represents mortgage lenders and servicers in mortgage-related litigation, including cases involving allegations of mortgage fraud, predatory lending, and violation of consumer protection statutes relative to loan origination and servicing.
Mr. Saper's federal and state class action litigation practice has included the defense of financial institutions, loan servicers, credit card companies, automobile manufacturers, a public transportation entity, and other businesses in cases arising under various state and federal consumer protection statutes.
Throughout both undergraduate and law school, Mr. Saper was a member of the Dean's List every quarter and semester, respectively. In law school, he was a staff editor of The John Marshall Law Review, and the recipient of both the Edward D. Rosenberg Scholarship and the Edith and Philip Baim Scholarship.
Mr. Saper is an adjunct professor of legal writing at The John Marshall Law School.
- Obtained summary judgment for an international truck manufacturer in a multimillion dollar case in which a distributor alleged tortious interference with a contract granting exclusive distribution rights to sell trucks in three countries.
- Obtained summary judgment in a putative class action alleging overcharging for commuter rail tickets.
- Obtained dismissal of a putative class action against a local public transportation company challenging expiration dates of commuter rail tickets.
Obtained $5 million judgment for a minority shareholder in a dispute involving a buy-sell agreement relating to an interest in an information technology company.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a large hospital in a multimillion-dollar case alleging overcharging by a large medical supply company.
- Obtained dismissal of a commercial disparagement claim on nuanced procedural grounds in a case in which a federal district court found that defendant's statements were defamatory per se, and successfully defended an appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Obtained temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions and permanent injunctions in state and federal courts and arbitrations in cases involving violations of post-employment restrictive covenants and the misappropriation of trade secrets.
"The Cross-Examination of an HR Director," Hinshaw's Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Hilton Chicago-Northbrook, Northbrook, Illinois, October 12, 2017
J.D., cum laude, The John Marshall Law School, 1998
- Staff Editor, The John Marshall Law Review
B.A., magna cum laude, DePaul University, 1995, Political Science
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana